585,705 active members*
4,225 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > spindle motor upgrade

spindle motor upgrade

I have a Bridgeport V2XT currently 3 hp intermittent and 2 hp continuous spindle. Got it running on a Mitsubishi FR-720S-100 VFD. Interested in replacing that spindle motor with a 3.7 KW and then having to change the VFD to a bigger Yaskawa so can continue running on single phase or maybe I just keep it 2.2Kw and enjoy the greater speed range? That's my first question, is it worth the trouble of trying to figure out how to mount that bigger motor getting bigger VFD new wire brake etc etc or just sticking with the same HP range?
    Now the motor in question is a 145BGL-M3P715/240, that is the 3.7 Kw model. 24,000 rpm max rated to 12 amps ( My VFD rated for 10 amps maybe that will suffice?) 240VAC motor. The 2.2Kw model is 145BGL-M2P215/240 Amps 7.1. Wish I can attach the PDF that the salesman sent me. Now my 2nd question is and I have badgered the salesman and hope he knows what he is talking about, whether this is a servo or asynchronous motor that can run on VFD. He says it will run on VFD. Will this thing run on a VFD? 3rd question is about the encoder. I would like to maintain the backgear set up on my machine so I can get higher torque on those lower RPM's. The motor has a motor mounted encoder. I am running mach 4, plan on running the encoder to the motion controller Apollo III which is Hiconn 7752. Does anyone know if there is a way to have ratios so that the encoder counts are reduced by 8.9:1 when the machine is in backgear. The motor already comes with an encoder so why not just use it, would be easier to put the encoder on the spindle. Can the encoder be fed to VFD?
    Bottom line, my questions are
    1.) will this rotor work with a VFD like the salesman says?
    2.) should I go with 2.2Kw or 3.7Kw ( need new VFD cable, brake and who knows what else)
    3.) what do I do about the encoder? Is it better to find a motor without an encoder?
    4.) Is there a better way to go about this?
    5.) Are those motors any good? Is there a better option?

Re: spindle motor upgrade

Post a link to the Motor, if this is 4Pole it would be 800Hz so you would need the Drive to suit.

Normally the encoder is mounted and run from the spindle, if you want ridgid Tapping, this motor does not sound ideal for a Bridgeport if it is 24,000 RPM that is not going to happen.
    Mactec54

Yo bro and back again. After trying out that Ali Baba thing. I clicked on something that had the specs I needed within my budget. Salesman BS's me right and left, "you need special special..." Only reason I communicated with salesman is to make sure I am getting what is in the ad. They quote me like 2.25X what the original ad said. I think they are trying to verify the buyer is an idiot and then if they scam him the law of Darwin is the overruling law. No more wasting my time with Ali Baba. Rewmember the name of the story Ali Baba and the 40 thieves. This is like Ali Baba and the infinite thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Post a link to the Motor, if this is 4Pole it would be 800Hz so you would need the Drive to suit.

Normally the encoder is mounted and run from the spindle, if you want ridgid Tapping, this motor does not sound ideal for a Bridgeport if it is 24,000 RPM that is not going to happen.
    BTW bro here is the link I got after searching the item number. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...428047651.html

Notice teh price, seller wanted like double when he got done with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns tool room View Post
    BTW bro here is the link I got after searching the item number. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...428047651.html

Notice teh price, seller wanted like double when he got done with me.
    That does not appear to be a very good motor, the torque is low for a 4pole motor that size, as well you don't need a 24,000 RPM motor for your machine, if it is a Servo Motor you would not be using a regular VFD Drive to drive it.
    Mactec54

funny thing is reading throughout the ad you can not tell. I asked the seller like 3X's " Can this run on a VFD ?" and he answered yes. I also asked him " Are you sure this doesn't need a servo driver, but can run on a VFD?" Again the answer was yes. Seems fishy to you? Torque spec didn't seem that bad. But bad enough that I would have to maintain the back-gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns tool room View Post
    funny thing is reading throughout the ad you can not tell. I asked the seller like 3X's " Can this run on a VFD ?" and he answered yes. I also asked him " Are you sure this doesn't need a servo driver, but can run on a VFD?" Again the answer was yes. Seems fishy to you? Torque spec didn't seem that bad. But bad enough that I would have to maintain the back-gear.
    Look at the specs of the other 3.7Kw motor that is in the spec list above this motor specs, this is a 12,000RPM motor with more than double the Torque which would be correct for that size Kw motor, the rated Hz is also incorrect it can't be 100Hz for a 24,000 RPM motor, so there listing is not correct, and I would not give that motor a second look.
    Mactec54