585,708 active members*
4,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Problem with WCS

Problem with WCS

I’m making a basic cnc layout in MastercamX5 and I got stuck with this problem. Sorry for the pictures quality but I use MacX5 in another PC which doesn’t have proper tools to take a snip.

I was able to draw line1 in the front view and then I selected to make a new line2 parallel to line1 6” above line 1 but its drawn in a different plane and I can’t figure out why. I have all my views named and although my experience with MacX5 is minimum I have been able to manage ok so far except this problem. Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
    Nicolas

Re: Problem with WCS

A few basics....
    Using the grid as a view indicator & drafting plane, make it smaller so it doesn't confuse your screen of prints, say 1.25" with a .25" pitch (color =light grey).

If you create geometry in 2D (2D/3D toggle button-lower toolbar), it will be placed on the construction level (same as the grid), construction level is adjusted by the Z field (lower toolbar).... This is what happened to you.

Moving, Offsetting etc .. a 3D move is restricted by having 2D selected

Trimming & filleting is also restricted by that 2D/3D toggle, 3D trim must have a 3D intersect point to actually trim, otherwise you may switch to 2D to trim (note... the entities may not be actually joined)
    Filleting also has it's issues with drawing entities on different Z planes.

Change of attack... use solids to make your model, ie create a sectional shape and the extrude it, ( extrude, select a cicle inside a circle gives you a pipe)

External threads, draw the MajorD, threaded holes draw minorD & imagine there is a helix (stops you making stuff-ups)

Your tip about the grid was excellent, I thought I must always draw inside the grid! Now I can see my drawings so clear, many thanks

I still don’t understand the solution to my problem. I know where the 2D/3D button is but do I have to adjust the Z level? And how I do that?
    Nicolas

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post
    Your tip about the grid was excellent, I thought I must always draw inside the grid! Now I can see my drawings so clear, many thanks

I still don’t understand the solution to my problem. I know where the 2D/3D button is but do I have to adjust the Z level? And how I do that?
    If you have 2D set, and moving an entity a 3D distance will ignore the construction distance.

Left click Z then pick a point on-screen to set construction plane .. or... type a number in adjacent box

Shortcuts do work ie o=origin e=entity endpoint, q=quadrant point if arc, m=mid point of entity(there are others, and they become available at the appropriate time)

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    If you have 2D set, and moving an entity a 3D distance will ignore the construction distance.
    Left click Z then pick a point on-screen to set construction plane .. or... type a number in adjacent box
    Shortcuts do work ie o=origin e=entity endpoint, q=quadrant point if arc, m=mid point of entity(there are others, and they become available at the appropriate time)
    Thank you for your time, I will keep practicing
    Nicolas

I was not able to make it work Superman, the command works but perhaps I pick the wrong location of the point. However that’s not a problem now because I decided to start again a new drawing since I noticed other problems. The attached is what I have so far, basically the structure of a table cnc approx. 36”x46” which I will make with aluminum plate and flat bars 3/8” to 1/2" thick.

When I start with a new default file do I have to do any settings/changes to this file?

Each piece of the structure will be made now with its own name so I can control what’s visible.

In 2D plain for example I will start with a rectangle and then I use either Translate or Solids/Extrude to make one 3D piece. Is it better to use Translate or Solids to do this?

I’m guessing now but I will assume when all pieces are done I should be able to move them to make the final drawing.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Many thanks for your time
    Nicolas

Ok... good idea using the solids & levels
    Do you have 1 or 2 screens ?
    If 2, maximise mastercam, open the operation manager, L drag the OP manager out of the mastercam screen area onto the 2nd display ( it gives you a larger area to work with).

Go to levels manager, set to display "used or named", create level 10, name it "Base", create entities for the base, create level 20, name it "columns", turn off lvl 10(remove X on display), create column entities ... etc etc
    For your column, create 1 only, in the correct position, then do an xform-mirror-copy....

You can keep your screen display neat and tidy is half the battle. You can zoom, pan, redraw quite quickly...

Too many screen entities creates problems. Little steps gives a better understanding of Mastercam & how you use it can overcome some problems.
    You have to realise it is a CAM system, with a little drafting package added for functionality.

How much do you know about the solids side of drafting, & using the solids history to modify item ?
    Ie. altering an entity that is used in the creation of a solid will make the solid "dirty" and it would need to be regenerated, if you delete an entity from a chain, then the solid has lost its basic construction and would need to be recreated and maintained as an inclosed chain

Try not to alter any geometry used in a solid, this is why I say to use levels to placed items on for that zone of your CNC so when turned off, you can't use it for another component.

For the actual table, you create a rectangle in FRONT view with the TEE slots, then extrude that whole chain in Z -ive direction the required distance, and accept.
    Now if you add chamfers (where tee slots meet the table face), you corrupt the base chain for that solid, it would need to be rechained, 2 methods... delete & redo the solid, or edit the solid history to renew the chain.
    Nice and neat, all this on a level (say 14, part of the base area)

I don’t know very much about solids drafting but I don’t think we are talking here about very complicated objects since my pieces will be just rectangles. Years ago I learned on my own (as a hobby) ACAD14 and I was pretty good at it but that was long time ago.

I do know however very well how to produce in MacX5 the gCode or NC code to cut an object on the cnc but I got the drawings (.dxf) for a few objects from the web.

I only have a 21.5 HDMI screen in my Desktop which is sufficient I guess in what I want to do and I could connect my 17” laptop too if we find there is a need for it.

The info you provided for the levels etc.is very good and clear and I will do so.

Why you suggest to create a rectangle for the table with TEE slots? Are you saying like dado joints? If so all joints on the cnc are butt joints.

Thanks for your help
    Nicolas

The tee slot table was only used as an example to show how little geometry is needed to make a reasonably intricate solid. And how important it is to not alter the geometry you use to create it.

Mastercam does have it's issues, it creates solids by extruding a planar chain perpendicular to it's plane. Now in English.... a circle is a planar shape, it extrudes along the circle centreline.

Joining, subtracting, and common results using solids is called a boolean operation. Ie making one solid of a cube with a circular bar sticking out one end.
    R14 is a good start for understanding drafting, both are icon button based to select the task.
    One feature missing from mastercam is the ability to "lock" a level from being edited.

If you are more comfortable using R14 and still creating the solids. When finished try using step or iges if the .dwg import doesn't work
    DXF is good for wireframe, doesn't like dimensions or text.

One screen, no probs,
    alt-o to open/close the op manager
    Alt-F1 to max all
    F1 to zoom to a windows
    Arrow keys to pan
    Alt-s to shade/unshaded

Check the documentation folder for the quick reference guide & print it... if your seat is legit, it came with the installation files and mouse mat.

Thanks for the info and tips Superman,

I do have the complete ref. guide and printed 800+ pages including 15 MC training tutorials + another set of tutorials from mmattera.com (another 800+ pages) however all these are way back and forgotten it all.

Back to reality I have a heck of a time finishing the Base, this 2D/3D I think creates the problem because I can’t at times do neither trim lines or extrude + some lines I find them at different planes!. I have re done and still do the base many times and I’m sure eventually I will get it done.

I didn’t grasp what you meant about the TEE slots but now, after all the troubles I have I got it and will do it today.

Good experience but quite frustrating, lol
    Nicolas

Thanks for the info and tips Superman,

I do have the complete ref. guide and printed 800+ pages including 15 MC training tutorials + another set of tutorials from mmattera.com (another 800+ pages) however all these are way back and forgotten it all.

Back to reality I have a heck of a time finishing the Base, this 2D/3D I think creates the problem because I can’t at times do neither trim lines or extrude + some lines I find them at different planes!. I have re done and still do the base many times and I’m sure eventually I will get it done.

I didn’t grasp what you meant about the TEE slots but now, after all the troubles I have I got it and will do it today.

Good experience but quite frustrating, lol
    Trimming can have issues, especially if you jump around in different views. You can very easily place entities on different Z levels. This makes it impossible to have a trim solution when in 3D mode.
    Now if in 2D mode (depending upon you active C plane), you can get a trim solution, but the endpoints still do not join
    There is a function called "Xform Project" which will place selected entities onto one Z plane of your active C plane

You don't have to print the whole book ...
    [Alt+h] gives you the help pages, & if you are within a command, (the ? icon) should take you to the help section for that item.

I solved the QM-Points how to delete

I have on my screen now the front view of my base and changed the level / color to work in the other parts.

The arrows at the origin of the front view shows Z points UP, Y points RIGHT.

However at the top left of my screen I also have arrows: Y points UP, X points RIGHT and at the center of these 2 arrows is C

Also at the bottom right of my screen I have another set of arrows: Y points RIGHT, Z points UP

And at the top right of my screen I have another set of arrows: Y points UP, X points Right and at the center of these arrows is T

Can you please tell me what these arrows mean?

My screen background is set to a dark blue color, which color is most accepted as the default screen color? Perhaps it’s a matter of choice?
    Nicolas

I solved the QM-Points how to delete

I have on my screen now the front view of my base and changed the level / color to work in the other parts.

The arrows at the origin of the front view shows Z points UP, Y points RIGHT.

However at the top left of my screen I also have arrows: Y points UP, X points RIGHT and at the center of these 2 arrows is C

Also at the bottom right of my screen I have another set of arrows: Y points RIGHT, Z points UP

And at the top right of my screen I have another set of arrows: Y points UP, X points Right and at the center of these arrows is T

Can you please tell me what these arrows mean?

My screen background is set to a dark blue color, which color is most accepted as the default screen color? Perhaps it’s a matter of choice?
    Those arrows in the corners are called "gnomons", the letters indicate "C"onstruction plane & "T"ool plane, the other is "G"raphics view.
    G view is your current view in relation to the system TOP.
    C view is the temporary Cartesian layout, the arrow head is the +ive direction
    T plane is use in programming, referring to the tool axis

F9 = Axis lines ON/OFF
    ALT+F9 = Gnomon ON/OFF
    all the Shortcuts are on the "Quick_Ref_Guide" in the documents folder (couple of pages) that you should have printed off.

Next hint...
    ALT+F8 (opens the configuration file), go to the CAD tab, open the Entity Attrib Manager, set to active.
    On "points", set color to Red, set style to 3D(like an asterisk)
    Accept and save when backing out..
    What you have done is... any points you create from now on WILL be a red 3D point. No matter what active color is preset
    ... I have on my system also set the dimensions, notes, leaders & Xhatches as a color that I normally would not use ie yellow.... don't set too many, but while you are there, turn OFF the trim preview.

QM on RH side... left click sets only select mask(window all, & only those in the mask set will be selected), right click will select ALL of those mask types on the screen.
    Or the other way round ... McamX5 was sooo long ago. It is up to Mcam 2022

Silly me, I have the user’s guide close by BUT I forgot the Quick Ref Guide where I now got many other questions I had. Sorry for wasting your time.

When I exit MC I get this message: “Some solids are in need for regeneration. You may not be able to retrieve the file again. Continue anyway?”

So far I say Continue and I have noticed nothing special. Perhaps there is something I should do?
    Nicolas

Silly me, I have the user’s guide close by BUT I forgot the Quick Ref Guide where I now got many other questions I had. Sorry for wasting your time.

When I exit MC I get this message: “Some solids are in need for regeneration. You may not be able to retrieve the file again. Continue anyway?”

So far I say Continue and I have noticed nothing special. Perhaps there is something I should do?
    Yeah... it is a sign that the geometry that is used in creating the solid has been later modified or deleted or....
    In Solids manager, it shows which is "dirty" by a red X over the icon.

Easiest is to delete the solid and redefine it.

next easiest, is to run a C-hook called "nohistory" which will remove the association to your geometry... ALT+C, search for dll and double click, it will ask to select which solid.