585,589 active members*
3,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 3kw VFD recommendations?

Hybrid View

Question 3kw VFD recommendations?

I'm in the process of majorly overhaling my Chinese 4'X8' CNC and noticed I have a 3 kw spindle but a VFD only rated for 2.2 kw.

I'm assuming I'm not getting the full potential out of the spindle with this configuration.

Which VFD should I get and the programing of it is a big consideration. I don't know what I'm doing and want something idiot proof or at least with a lot of good documentation to get it set up right.

Re: 3kw VFD recommendations?

Hi,
    there are plenty of cheap Chinese made VFDs, any many seem to work OK.

I use Delta VFDs, a Taiwanese brand made in China. They are good quality and great documentation but are quite a bit more expensive.
    Others have always claimed that Hitachi is good quality at fair prices, but still quite a bit more than cheap Chinese.

3kW is right near the limit of a single phase supply unless you have a 40A or 50A connection. Most VFDs of the 3kW class work best with three phase
    input, but will work adequately on single phase. Best to get a 3.4kW, or a 3.7kW or even a 4kW VFD if you have only single phase to supply it, they need to be de-rated
    a little if you use single phase.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Dbl_Tap View Post
    I'm in the process of majorly overhaling my Chinese 4'X8' CNC and noticed I have a 3 kw spindle but a VFD only rated for 2.2 kw.

I'm assuming I'm not getting the full potential out of the spindle with this configuration.

Which VFD should I get and the programing of it is a big consideration. I don't know what I'm doing and want something idiot proof or at least with a lot of good documentation to get it set up right.
    The 2.2Kw VFD Drive is not suitable for the 3Kw spindle any Hy 4Kw will work fine for your Spindle, you will need 30A for your spindle if using 240v Single Phase supply, So, your whole machine will need 40A / 45A 240v main supply Circuit, I can give you the Parameters once you get the VFD Drive.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by automationtechinc View Post
    Those Parameters don't belong to a 4Kw VFD Drive if you want some other Parameter sets, you can PM me and I will give you what is needed for the different drives.
    Mactec54

Mactec54 sorry I thought I responded to you but apparently I didn't!

I finally have everything else setup and running on my machine so this is the last piece of the puzzle I need to finish.

Any recommendations as to which 4Kw VFD you'd suggest for 240 single phase? I do have 40amps available but 3 phase isn't an option.