585,605 active members*
3,282 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

REtrofitting PCNC1100 to UCCNC

Hello,

I acquired a Tormach PCCNC 1100 a year ago, it is an older model, dated 2008, but was never used until last year, running on MACH3. The machine was working, but I decided to upgrade the control system and I had a UCCNC UCBB Dual Port Breakout Board available, which can give me 400KHz operating Frequency via Ethernet, instead of 35KHz on the Parallel port or 100 KHz on USB.

I am almost done with the retrofit, adding a fourth axis and automatic Lube pump, Tool Presetter, and edge finder. I intend to calibrate the x,y and z axis in the coming week.

Does anyone have the unit length per rotation of the ballscrews for this machine?

Thanks in advance

Re: REtrofitting PCNC1100 to UCCNC

You didn't state which 1100 version you have (there have been several), but as far as I am aware the ball screws have always been 5 turns to an inch pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by innovativeiron View Post
    Hello,

I acquired a Tormach PCCNC 1100 a year ago, it is an older model, dated 2008, but was never used until last year, running on MACH3. The machine was working, but I decided to upgrade the control system and I had a UCCNC UCBB Dual Port Breakout Board available, which can give me 400KHz operating Frequency via Ethernet, instead of 35KHz on the Parallel port or 100 KHz on USB.

I am almost done with the retrofit, adding a fourth axis and automatic Lube pump, Tool Presetter, and edge finder. I intend to calibrate the x,y and z axis in the coming week.

Does anyone have the unit length per rotation of the ballscrews for this machine?

Thanks in advance
    Looking forward to see the finished machine, you can post some photos when it is done.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Thank you very much for this information.
    Regarding the machine, all I know is that it was running on Mach 3 software. The serial number was not legible as it was somewhat weather beaten when I got it.
    I believe the controller part number was not allowing upgrading to PathPilot using the existing controller. I would have had to do a complete controller retrofit as well as purchase the pathpilot software.

It is much cheaper to go with UCCNC controller.

Thanks again
    innovativeiron

Nothing wrong with uccnc.
    Nothing wrong with mach3.
    Nothing wrong with cslabs csmio-ips for machx, mach3 or mach4, or their own sw.

"much cheaper" is a bad idea.
    All the controllers, including siemens, and haas, have their issues and their quirks.

Hello,

I should have said that differently,

I know all controllers have their issues, and I love Mach3.
    I had a UCCNC Controller spare, and available, and it was "the cheaper option" for me to use the controller compared to going with PathPilot.
    For my hobby application, it was an economic decision, as I have other projects that I need to get done.

I bought the UCCNC COntroller for another project, a larger CNC Machine Center Retrofit, but shelved the project for a while.

I am also looking at the following projects

Acorn Controller for a CNC Gang Lathe (Miyano) with the intention of making it Mill Turn.
    Controller for a Hydraulic Pressbrake to convert to CNC
    4 axis CNC Plasma with MASSO Controller
    Mori Seiki Machine Center retrofit.

Regards
    innovativeiron

Retrofitting PCNC1100 to UCCNC Weather Meteo UK offers a range of services, from custom machine design and development to software and hardware upgrades. The company https://meteo.uk/4504/bolton also offers training and support services to help customers get the most out of their CNC machines.

The team at Retrofitting PCNC1100 to UCCNC Weather Meteo UK is constantly pushing the boundaries of innovation and providing the best possible solutions for its clients. Its commitment to its customers is reflected in its dedicated customer service team, who are always available to answer questions and provide advice.