584,842 active members*
4,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TNG for RPi4 64bit

RPi4 with SSD disk runs this like a rocket.
    But it is experimental. I did not run actual machine with it. Only simulation.

Here is link if someone wants to try.
    https://planet-cnc.com/wp-content/up...2023-02-20.zip

Re: TNG for RPi4 64bit

Good afternoon, new TNG user here, I am updating a Step-Four router and plan to use a Pi4 for convenience. To keep things simple for now, and just to get started, I used Ubuntu Mate-64 as OS. When I install TNG, the installation appears to proceed normal. However, TNG does not start, no indications whatsoever, the desktop icon simple turns its wheel for a few seconds and then stops. I've been through Raspian 32/64 bit (only 32 bit seems to work) Ubuntu Desktop, and now Mate/64. Can you tell me which OS you use in the above setup?

update: Tried with Raspbian 64. No go, Failed to get childprocess (but the file is most certainlt where it it looking!)

regards, Kees
    Last edited by keesblokland; 03-30-2023 at 12:52 PM.

Use Raspberry Pi OS 32bit or 64bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetCNC View Post
    Use Raspberry Pi OS 32bit or 64bit.
    Thank you, My Pi is a 4 Gig version (from when they were cheap ;-)
    On a 64 bit OS, the program does not start, does not complain, nothing.

On a 32 bit Raspbian OS, the program starts, however the screen resolution that the program is using is not fitting my screen resolution. The program window appears double the size of what I can see. I can move it a bit, but not so much that I can get to the ok/cancel buttons.

Displays (1):
    Orientation: Upright
    Main window: 0 0 0 0
    Display 1 (main):
    Total area: 0 0 640 512
    User area: 0 0 640 512
    DPI: 254.50
    Scale: 2.00

And another surprise, just switching my monitor to a different one (still 1280x1024) fixes my problem of not being able to see the whole program. Looks like the monitor is giving the display software wrong info. However, been using that same monitor for all my Raspi projects, never encountered anything like this.

And now the Total area and User area shows 1024x840 in /Profile/Default/settings and works as expected.

So, it looks like I can get on with the job. (Am I surprised? no, after 50+years doing electronics and computers, nothing amazes me anymore! Just put it down to 'one of those things', and if it does not annoy me further, I am happy.

But please see if you can get that 64 bit version working??

Thanks again for your input,

regards
    Kees.

Installation files for 64bit RPi are different than 32bit. Link to them is in first post in this topic. They are not jet officially available.

TNG should use screens 800x600 or larger. There are too many things to display and 640x512 is just not enough.
    Main window can be resized to 640x512 but settings windows needs 800 width.

Glad to report that as of just now, the 64 bit version on my 4Gig Pi is behaving. I still do not know what caused my earlier problem. However, I did notice during one of my sessions that after starting the program, the settings file in my target directory was totally messed with unreadable characters. Tried it on two different, freshly cooked SD cards, both 64G name brands.

This time before starting the program, I copied the settings and other files that are created during first start, from my working 32 bit version to the relevant directory.
    And now it works.

I do not really know if this is repeatable, right now I don't have the time to try this. It might be 'one of those things' that appear to follow me with this upgrade.

At least for the next upgrade (2 more systems that can be upgraded are waiting) I know what to expect. ;-)

I strongly suggest that you use USB SSD drive (or at leas very fast USB key). SD cards aje just not robust enough and get corrupter very easily.

Thank you for sharing the link for TNG (The Next Generation) for RPi4 64bit. It's good to know that you had a positive experience running it with an SSD disk.

However, as you mentioned, it's important to note that this is an experimental version, which means it may not be stable or fully functional. It's always a good idea to proceed with caution when trying out experimental software.

For anyone interested in trying it out, make sure to back up your data and proceed at your own risk. Also, please ensure that your RPi4 meets the hardware requirements for running TNG, and follow the installation instructions carefully.