585,715 active members*
3,803 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco BMC30/M (Ultimax 3) - Stuck at 'machine config' F8 button not working

Question Hurco BMC30/M (Ultimax 3) - Stuck at 'machine config' F8 button not working

Hi all,

I have a new (to me!) Hurco BMC30/M with Ultimax 3 controls. On boot up, initially I got the 'Security device missing or faulty' message but this goes away if I leave the machine on for a while then restart.

On restart, it gets stuck at the 'machine configuration' screen. PC seems to still be active as e-stop message still comes up if I press an e-stop. But the F8 (exit) button doesn't do anything.

I have also tried 'enter - 8 - enter' and 'enter - 999 - enter' but no reponse. On the board under the keypad there is a green LED that flashes when the keys are pressed, but it only flashes when pressing some keys (not the F8 key!)

I have re-seated all connectors within the keypad board and re-crimped the ribbon cable running from softkeys to control PCB. I have tested the mechanical function of the F8 key using a multimeter.

Where can I connect an external keyboard to try this? I couldn't see any obvious connector on the PC at rear of the machine.

Any help much appreciated!

Re: Hurco BMC30/M (Ultimax 3) - Stuck at 'machine config' F8 button not working

Quick update... I have found what I assume is the external keyboard port, a DIN5 next to the cable gland for the pendant controller. A PS2 keyboard and DIN5 adapter will be here on Monday.

I noticed that there is a green LED on the keyboard PCB that flashes when the keys are pressed. But it seems to flash constantly... so perhaps a key is stuck. I'll test removing all ribbon cables for keyboard elements on monday when the PS2 keyboard arrives.

Ok, progress. I am now past this page and can access all machine functions.

Except I now have a "low air pressure" warning and I can't move any axes as it says "spindle unclamped" or similar. Manually trying to clamp the spindle doesn't do anything, presumably as it thinks the air pressure is low.

Main regulator is reading 8bar, so there's no issue there. Where is the air pressure sensor/switch on this machine?

Not sure exactly where it is on your specific machine but look for an air pressure sensor. I believe Hurco calls it an air pressure-detecting switch. Check the connections on the harness that connects to it for voltage.

I attached the wiring diagram for the harness to the switch. Not specifically for your machine but most older Hurco VMC's are relatively the same. It is likely either a bad connection or a faulty sensor.

Awesome, thank you! I will check for 24VDC or 110V AC across the 2 legs tomorrow and will short out to see if that makes any difference. One step at a time!

I think some of my problems may be temperature related. On my searches I saw bloke mention pointing a fan heater at the rear cabinet for a while before boot up. I left the machine running for an hour on the 'security device invalid' notice earlier, on reboot I could get further in to the machine than previous tries.

Do you know if there are rechargable batteries in the security dongle? On mine, it has 2 battery slots (one each side) but only 1 has a battery in it. I daren't take the other one out to check the size incase it looses the config! It looks like a weird button cell, 16mm diameter and ~22mm thick (measuring based on the empty slot).

Quote Originally Posted by scintam View Post
    Do you know if there are rechargable batteries in the security dongle? On mine, it has 2 battery slots (one each side) but only 1 has a battery in it. I daren't take the other one out to check the size incase it looses the config! It looks like a weird button cell, 16mm diameter and ~22mm thick (measuring based on the empty slot).
    Post a picture of it so I can be sure to tell you correctly but I believe its a CMOS/BIOS battery. In that case definitely do not take it out. The second slot is either there to aid in replacing the main battery without loosing settings or is simply missing and is the cause of some of your issues. Replacing a single battery without any settings lost requires it to be under power; thus not requiring the backup battery. Regardless I would make sure you have a backup copy of your bios settings before attempting to replace it.

That’s not a battery, it’s the chip that stores the options. If you take it out, your options and ability to boot will disappear. Later software and CPU change to a Peak 715 no longer requires the dongle.

Hi both, thanks for your replies - finally got the axes moving today!

The 'stuck at config screen' issue turned out to be stuck keys on the keypad. I've stripped it all out and will clean the conductive silver pads under the membranes on Monday.

The air pressure resolved itself - not entirely sure how. There is a 'Nichidan' brand (I think, not in front of machine now) branded pressure switch on the side that may have been a bit stuck.

XYZA axes all moving fine. When I calibrate the axes the Z bounces off the upper limit switch; same thing when I drive the Z to the top manually. Some error about Z following, again can't remember exactly. Didn't have time to clean out the Z limit switch this evening, but if you've seen this error before any hints appreciated!

Look forward to first chips

The bouncing is loose gib strips on Z.
    Tighten them properly and it will stop. Until then, push upwards hard on the head when it hits Z + limit until it finds reference.

What are the gib strips bloke? I don't dare get close to the Z when its under power, when I pressed the E-stop earlier it moved down ~400mm! Not fast, but fast enough that I'm staying well away haha.

It’s counterbalanced so it won’t fall hard unless the chains snap.
    The gib strips hold the head back into the Z slideways. There are two behind the head and one on the inside between the side slide.
    Screws at the top and bottom of each strip adjust the vertical position of the gib - they are tapered so moving them down using the top screw (after slackening the bottom screw) closes the clearance between the gib and the slide and thus pulling the head back square. Don’t jog the Z with the screws loose though - you can jam the gib in the taper.

I didn't have much time with the machine today but I couldn't find anything loose. It's pretty filthy behind the head though so I may have missed something.

I grabbed a video of the bouncing - is this what you'd expect from loose gib strips? It bounces for a while then seems to give up and throws up a Z following error on the screen. At the end of this clip I press the E stop and the head drops as I described before.

https://youtube.com/shorts/QPQSZZ9Tw4w?feature=share

Yep, that’s loose gibs.

2 steps forward 1 step back with this machine!

So the bouncing was a stupid error... the previous owner had stuck a metal bar through the hole for the counter weight. It must have shifted during shipping and fell down inside the casting... so the counter weight was resting on the bar at the top of the travel.

Z now calibrates fine. But now we have an "Error positioning to marker on X axis".

Trouble shooting steps tried:
    - CALIB: TO LIM SW VELOCITY - turned down to 500
    - CALIB: TO MARKER VELOCITY - turned down to 100
    - LIMIT SWITCH TO MARKER DISTANCE - increased to 20mm
    - IN POSITION TOLERANCE - increased to 15 counts

Every few runs I get the '.' pop up very briefly next to the X in the calibration screen (managed to catch it in the video). So it can see a marker pulse sometimes at least. It seems like it gets close to 0.000, or sees a marker pulse, and can't get back from an overshoot or something.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Y7nvMpBn1Yo?feature=share

Machine has Yaskawa servo drives.

Quote Originally Posted by scintam View Post
    2 steps forward 1 step back with this machine!

So the bouncing was a stupid error... the previous owner had stuck a metal bar through the hole for the counter weight. It must have shifted during shipping and fell down inside the casting... so the counter weight was resting on the bar at the top of the travel.

Z now calibrates fine. But now we have an "Error positioning to marker on X axis".

Trouble shooting steps tried:
    - CALIB: TO LIM SW VELOCITY - turned down to 500
    - CALIB: TO MARKER VELOCITY - turned down to 100
    - LIMIT SWITCH TO MARKER DISTANCE - increased to 20mm
    - IN POSITION TOLERANCE - increased to 15 counts

Every few runs I get the '.' pop up very briefly next to the X in the calibration screen (managed to catch it in the video). So it can see a marker pulse sometimes at least. It seems like it gets close to 0.000, or sees a marker pulse, and can't get back from an overshoot or something.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Y7nvMpBn1Yo?feature=share

Machine has Yaskawa servo drives.
    Bloke of your still out there please help.
    i got a keyboard hooked up managed to press f1 and got into the Cmos settings i followed a hurco service bulletin and went through all the standard and advanced settings.
    I copied what bloke suggested in another post for the cylinder heads 1223 sect 50 etc amd manged to boot the system.
    It brings me to the part set up screen and the progam screen
    But the main controller none of the buttons work i can only use the keyboard.
    It wont allow me to press manual power, cycle start to enable the drivers.
    Its like the machine has forgot ot has the controller all the parameters needed to set it up arent there.
    Really need help here if anyone even reads these anymore