584,817 active members*
5,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > ArtCam Pro > Issues with working on curved surface.

Issues with working on curved surface.

I'm a beginner in using both CNC and Artcam and so far working on a curved surface proved to be tricky, I'm not sure how to make it work 100% but I've been trying to make do, unfortunately, even that seemed to be difficult to pull off.
    I've got a CNC Miller, and use Artcam Premium 2018 for making Gcode, I used a 3mm end mill bit for this work.
    I ended up with the current result:
    (Image 1)
    I basically noticed 3 issues:
    A)The decoration becomes stretched the further away from the center we get, I'm aware this is due to attempting to project a flat design unto a curved surface.
    I attempted to solve this by Using a 3D (Machine Relief) Toolpath, While it seemed to solve the stretching problem, I noticed that when the toolpath gets carved the border between shapes gets completely chipped out, I hoped this had to do with the fact I could not set the starting Z below Z0 (which is at the top), and maybe when I actually machine the toolpath it'll turn out right (I basically established Z origin at the top of workpiece then manually set that to Z=2mm to have it carve 2mm of depth), from the little bit I let it carve it turned out not to be the case unfortunately, I have a feeling I'm not using the 3D toolpathing the way intended.
    B)The further we got from the center The deeper the cuts got from the original 2mm of depth I set up, I don't know why, my guess is either of these two reasons:
    1)The method I use to replicate the work piece's form is inaccurate.
    2)Projecting a 2D Toolpath onto a curved surface not only distorts the shape but also the depth of the cut.
    C) The Final length of the decoration ended up shorter than the workpiece, still don't know why but my guess is that whatever's causing issue B is causing this one too.
    This is the method I used, hopefully, it'll allow you to notice the mistakes I made:

My first step was to take measurements of the dimensions of the workpiece and its curvature then create a relief using the extrude feature on Artcam, The workpiece was curved both in length and width so did it twice:
    (Image 2,3)
    And this was the result:
    (Image 4)
    I then created the decoration of the dimensions needed and made toolpaths for it, I made two Gcode files one using a 3D Toolpath and another using a 2D Clearance Toolpath that I then projected onto the relief:
    (Image 5,6,7,8).
    I loaded the 3d toolpath first but when I noticed that it was turning out exactly as the simulation predicted I stopped it and ran the 2d toolpath, I was expecting the drawback to be only some distortion to the form of the decoration, only to be surprised by a skewed up depth and total length as an end result.
    I measured the actual length of the surface and it is 360mm, I considered making the decoration 360mm instead of 306mm, but I do not know how do I then go about "rolling it" onto the surface, do I do it in the CAD software? (I use illustrator), or do I keep it that way and use some sort of tool operation in Artcam that handles that sort of thing?

I would really appreciate any sort of advice and I'm willing to take my time in learning how to do this if it proves to be complicated, I'm also willing to learn how to use different software if Artcam is incapable of performing this.
    And thank you for taking the time to read my post, I appreciate it.

Re: Issues with working on curved surface.

As a convenience for readers of this thread, I have extracted the images contained within the .Zip file above and posted them as images below:

Attachment 489740
    Attachment 489742
    Attachment 489744
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4)Relief.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	489746

Name:	5)2D Toolpath.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	489748
    Attachment 489750

Name:	7)3D Toolpath.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	489752

Name:	8)3D Toolpath Simulation.jpg 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	489754

Quote Originally Posted by RaderSidetrack View Post
    As a convenience for readers of this thread, I have extracted the images contained within the .Zip file above and posted them as images below:
    Thank you, I tried uploading them directly but they were over 500kb in size, and was worried that decreasing the size would make them illegible.

Have you try to use down cut bits to preserve the edges.
    I prefer using Vectric Software for wood cutting, there is an option to project tool path on any surface and it’s very simple to use…
    They have tryouts versions.