585,758 active members*
4,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > It was the best of times It was the worst of times A path to CNC enlightenment

It was the best of times It was the worst of times A path to CNC enlightenment

Hello All
    I am new to both forums and CNC CAD and CAM. I am looking to understand g-code better since I have taught myself how to operate Fusion 360 on the programming side and own a STYLE CNC operating LNC software which I am still learning to operate.
    I have come to a point where I have the g-code for my cut paths and have the self changing tool function active. I have taught the machine its parameters and taught it all of the tools in the horizontal 13 tool carousel which will be used in the cut function. I then taught the machine the parameters of the stock piece and hit start.
    The machine immediately misoperated and knocked four tools from the carousel as the router head came across the carousel as it was out in the tool change position. It broke two bits and the machine displayed a message that stated the tool clamp was malfunctioning. Luckily I figured a work around for that problem and the tool head still functions fine.
    I believe that the problem lie in the g-code but have so little experience in it that I don't yet know what I need to know to understand why the machine malfunctioned as it did.
    If anyone wants to delve into the problem I would be so very happy for the help. Learning all of this on my own has been daunting. I feel so deflated and really need this machine to get to an operational state.
    All my best

Re: It was the best of times It was the worst of times A path to CNC enlightenment

When the G code calls for a tool change, something like T02 M06, the machine executes the command using it's internal parameters. In other words, the G code has nothing to do with the actual tool change routine.

If set up correctly, the machine should move to the tool change position, drop the current tool, index the carousel to the new tool position, and grab the tool. Then return to the working position and is then back under G code control.

You have to set up the tool change parameters in the control so the machine knows what to do and where to move to.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA