585,996 active members*
3,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

12" Z Axis experience?

I'm considering swapping out the 8" for 12" Z Axis on a Pro with 8" gantry clearance for sculpting HDPE elements positioned on a vertical table fixture. I was hoping for feedback from anyone who owns a machine with a 12" Z Axis to reflect on relative performance. Thanks in advance for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavigogun View Post
    I'm considering swapping out the 8" for 12" Z Axis on a Pro with 8" gantry clearance for sculpting HDPE elements positioned on a vertical table fixture. I was hoping for feedback from anyone who owns a machine with a 12" Z Axis to reflect on relative performance. Thanks in advance for your time.

All machines this light will flex and ring. I have dual 12 inch travel axis (Z and U) on an extended gantry 5x10 machine. The 12" length is actually closer to 14 inches travel. You can put longer end mills on the spindle and fully retract them from the work envelop which is why you would need it.

If you aren't cutting foam with long 5" or 8" end mills there really isn't a point in getting a larger size than the 8" incher that is standard.

If you are just cutting HPDE then the 8" would be you best bet.

One thing to consider though, if you get a dual head, extended gantry, get both heads the same length. Otherwise you run into problems with Mach4.