585,722 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > What is an Eldorado CNC Bridgemill worth?

What is an Eldorado CNC Bridgemill worth?

I'm looking at purchasing a 2003 Eldorado Bridgemill with CNC from a local guy. I'm very new at this CNC thing, but have to say I'm very interested in learning more. My main work will be light milling of aluminum. Can someone give me an estimate as to what this machine is worth? Also, what should I be on the lookout for as I inspect it?

Thanks in advance..

I recommend some homework. Create a part file that is similar to what you want to machine. It doesn't have to be the most complicated part you'll ever do. Just the basics, perhaps a pocket of some sort and possibly a profile to cut the piece free from the balance of the material. Bring your own material (plus extra) and ask to run the machine. Get your self an appropriate end mill and try the thing out. If the seller is at all motivated, he won't have a problem with this.

I own a 1997 XMTC 17x20. It provided a good education for the Tormach I purchased recently, but I was never satisfied with the milling ability of the 17x20. Cuts were never what I would call clean. Even in plastic, tooling marks were uneven and very visible. The 3 axis ball screw upgrade did not help this situation to my satisfaction. The Bridgemill feature may improve that situation and you may be a more skilled (and patient) operator than I was with the 17x20. That said, I produced functional parts with the 17x20 in both manual and CNC mode. I keep it around and have converted it to a CNC lathe. I find it acceptable for this task. The nice thing about owning the 17x20 is that it truly makes me appreciate the capabilities of my Tormach.

As to the price... I wouldn't pay more than 1/2 the new cost if it is in good shape. Please remember the tooling is not an insignificant adder and can easily be over $1000.00 in itself. I know nothing of the going prices for a Bridgemill. I am offering this based upon my satisfaction with a similar product. It is only an opinion. Perhaps, some other members will chime in and contribute their 2 cents also.

Thanks Flyinchips, very good information!

Quote Originally Posted by flyinchips View Post
    I own a 1997 XMTC 17x20. It provided a good education for the Tormach I purchased recently, but I was never satisfied with the milling ability of the 17x20. Cuts were never what I would call clean. Even in plastic, tooling marks were uneven and very visible. The 3 axis ball screw upgrade did not help this situation to my satisfaction. The Bridgemill feature may improve that situation and you may be a more skilled (and patient) operator than I was with the 17x20. That said, I produced functional parts with the 17x20 in both manual and CNC mode. I keep it around and have converted it to a CNC lathe. I find it acceptable for this task. The nice thing about owning the 17x20 is that it truly makes me appreciate the capabilities of my Tormach.
    I had the original 17-20 XMTC model from 1994- it served me well for many years. I agree with flyin chips about the milling limitations, it was like all those original style 3 in 1 units which had no vertical or lateral support for the tailstock end of the mill head. A few years back I upgraded to the Patriot which addressed all those milling issues. It is more rigid than most of the small mills on the market. I'm seriously looking at the new VFD Patriot which has the P-4 ball screws and 3 phase motors.
    Price wise, I was lucky that I sold my 17-20 before the economy crashed and got nearly the full original price. In today's economy, 1/2 of the new price is probably correct.

Quote Originally Posted by smallblock View Post
    I had the original 17-20 XMTC model from 1994- it served me well for many years. I agree with flyin chips about the milling limitations, it was like all those original style 3 in 1 units which had no vertical or lateral support for the tailstock end of the mill head. A few years back I upgraded to the Patriot which addressed all those milling issues. It is more rigid than most of the small mills on the market. I'm seriously looking at the new VFD Patriot which has the P-4 ball screws and 3 phase motors.
    Price wise, I was lucky that I sold my 17-20 before the economy crashed and got nearly the full original price. In today's economy, 1/2 of the new price is probably correct.
    Thanks smallblock for your contribution. This is a 2003 Eldorado that came from the factory with CNC.

If half the original price is good, than I'm getting a great deal (he's asking a quarter of the original price for a non-cnc mill).

The lathe really does not interest me. The only thing I will be doing is using the cnc to mill aluminum parts. However, when I look at these desktop cnc machines (like sherline, taig, etc.) a 900+ lbs unit seems rather sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaClay View Post
    Thanks smallblock for your contribution. This is a 2003 Eldorado that came from the factory with CNC.

If half the original price is good, than I'm getting a great deal (he's asking a quarter of the original price for a non-cnc mill).

The lathe really does not interest me. The only thing I will be doing is using the cnc to mill aluminum parts. However, when I look at these desktop cnc machines (like sherline, taig, etc.) a 900+ lbs unit seems rather sturdy.
    It sounds like you came across a great deal. JT at Shoptask has always had spares on hand for the older machines and he has been using the same CNC manufacturer for 20 years, so you won't have any worries in that respect.
    You will be happy with the milling work on the machine, but the lathe will do some amazing stuff as well. I did a lot of flywheels, driveshafts etc with my old machine and guys were always shocked that the work was done on that little machine in the corner of my shop.

Well, if you haven't seen my other thread, I've taken the plunge and purchased the Eldorado. The owner was kind enough to throw in a BobCAD 2007 disk. So the mill comes with DRO and CNC w/ controller. At the price I purchased it, didn't think I can get hurt too bad on the unit. I've attached some pictures for review...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill 398.jpg   mill 399.jpg  

Re: What is an Eldorado CNC Bridgemill worth?

I see that this is a super old post but I was wondering how you made out with your Eldorado? I have one too that I purchased just before covid and I’m just starting to really use it. Mine didn’t have CNC but I’m adding it.