585,712 active members*
4,409 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Quantam s1000d anilam retrofit advice

Quantam s1000d anilam retrofit advice

Hey Guys,
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

Long story short im retrofitting my quantam milling machine.

Im going to use a centroid oak controller.
    I have everything sorted bar working out what servo/servo drive im using.

The current machine has direct drive anilam am 1400c servos which appear to be a 300v 2.3kw rated AC servo.
    Are there any available drives I could get to run these?
    Or am I better off ditching them entirely.

I allready have a set of yaskawa servos and drives here but being only 850w im guessing ill need to make a 2:1 belt reduction for them to work.

Thankyou for any help

Re: Quantam s1000d anilam retrofit advice

Quote Originally Posted by ampl View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

Long story short im retrofitting my quantam milling machine.

Im going to use a centroid oak controller.
    I have everything sorted bar working out what servo/servo drive im using.

The current machine has direct drive anilam am 1400c servos which appear to be a 300v 2.3kw rated AC servo.
    Are there any available drives I could get to run these?
    Or am I better off ditching them entirely.

I allready have a set of yaskawa servos and drives here but being only 850w im guessing ill need to make a 2:1 belt reduction for them to work.

Thankyou for any help
    It is not suggested to use Yaskawa Servo motor and driver with only 850W.
    Using 2:1 belt reduction is still not enough torque, and speed will be only half.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Hi,
    Centroid Oak can close the servo loop using an analog output, and I presume that's what you want to do? Otherwise if you get a Step/Direction type servo drive and use the servo drive to close the loop
    the you don't need an expensive Centroid Oak controller but a Centroid Acorn would work fine.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by cncmakers001 View Post
    It is not suggested to use Yaskawa Servo motor and driver with only 850W.
    Using 2:1 belt reduction is still not enough torque, and speed will be only half.

Is there anything I can use to drive the anilam servos then? Or do I really just need to invest in a new set of servos/drives

Hi,
    Its all about cost. If new and original Anilam drives are $1500 each then you could get a new servo kit (servo, drive and cables) for less.
    You need to find out if the original drives are still available and how much they cost. I would not recommend mixing a drive from another manufacturer
    unless you are 100% confident you can make said drive operate your servo. You will have wasted serious money if you cannot.

For example this is a Delta servo kit (Taiwanese made in China):

https://www.fasttobuy.com/delta-2kw-...nc_p33936.html

It is a B2 series, which is in effect the entry level for Delta servos. They have a 160,000 count/rev encoder. This one is 2kW, 3000rpm (rated) 5000rpm (max), 6.4Nm (cont), 19.1Nm (overload)
    and for $895USD + shipping. I use the smaller 750W Delta B2's and have done for several years, all bought from this same company, and have my recommendation....for what its worth.

DMM is Canadian made in China and they have 1.8kW servo/drives. They are price competitive with Delta, and are also good quality, with good support, documentation and most importantly
    free set-up and tuning software. If you've not set-up and tuned servos before, do yourself a favor and get servos/drives with setup and tuning software, its just too damn difficult if you've not done it
    before by pressing buttons like a microwave.

Craig

Hi,
    I see looking more closely at the Anilam servo that its rated speed is 2000rpm, whereas the 2kW Delta I linked to is 3000rpm but a little less torque.
    There is another model Delta that has a 130mm frame (cf 10mm) and is 2000rpm (rated), 3000rpm (max) 9.55Nm (cont), 29Nm (max) and still $895 + shipping.
    Might be a better fit for you.

Craig