584,833 active members*
5,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma Cadet v4020 will not boot after shutdown

Okuma Cadet v4020 will not boot after shutdown

I work in aerospace and I've been operating a cadet 4020 for a few months. This machine is old and has issues for sure, recently it's been throwing a fault 118 2A for spindle stop and just shutting the spindle off during running. I can clear it and it'll go away for a while sometimes but it seems like towards the end of the day it won't clear. Yesterday because it was doing that I shut the machine down and went home for the day.

Today I got in and when I turned the power back on, the screen on the display does not turn on and all of the lights flash rapidly on the control panel.

Inside the back cabinet I noticed there are some lights on some of the displays all the lights are red the green light doesn't appear to light up I tried resetting the circuit breakers that I can see with no real result.

I don't know if it's a dead capacitor not charged, or what. I used to have a tree CNC that would do something similar but I could just leave it on for an hour and it would eventually work but that's not working with this.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechsoldat View Post
    I work in aerospace and I've been operating a cadet 4020 for a few months. This machine is old and has issues for sure, recently it's been throwing a fault 118 2A for spindle stop and just shutting the spindle off during running. I can clear it and it'll go away for a while sometimes but it seems like towards the end of the day it won't clear. Yesterday because it was doing that I shut the machine down and went home for the day.

Today I got in and when I turned the power back on, the screen on the display does not turn on and all of the lights flash rapidly on the control panel.

Inside the back cabinet I noticed there are some lights on some of the displays all the lights are red the green light doesn't appear to light up I tried resetting the circuit breakers that I can see with no real result.

I don't know if it's a dead capacitor not charged, or what. I used to have a tree CNC that would do something similar but I could just leave it on for an hour and it would eventually work but that's not working with this.

Any ideas?
    All LEDs flashing is usually just before PLC boots up. I suspect a power supply or short issue, using a multimeter check all PSU voltages.

If all ok, disconnect at first the spindle drive and isolate it, then see if the control powers up.
    If not, disconnect all drives and then 24vdc PLC outputs. You need to try and isolate what is pulling down the control.

I think what's going on is it was bad capacitor somewhere. which would cause a power supply issue.

It started flashing more brightly and faster, then the monitor began to flicker and it fired up the display. The keyboard next to the monitor works for typing letters and numbers but the nc control panel lights are not on and not functioning.

Now I get a fault 2001 operational panel ready error and 2025 sbp monitor data error.

I hope those might be related to the fact that since the other modules/boards booted hours ago the boot sequence was terminated and they aren't communicating properly.

I'm going to wait until morning when I think any not so good caps have taken all the charge they can take, and then I'm going to quickly power it down and back on.

This machine is so old and has so many other issues that my employer doesn't want to put any money or time into it, the spindle bearings are going etc.

Hopefully tomorrow they handshake correctly

Ok, so we decided to quickly power off and back on, I did it as fast as possible and it powered right up and I made a part already.

I'm going to not shut this thing down again like ever, problem is we're near Seattle and have frequent wind storms, we've lost power a few hrs a couple times already this winter.

Re: Okuma Cadet v4020 will not boot after shutdown

just replace power capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    just replace power capacitors
    Unfortunately I'm not in maintenance and I don't own the machine, they don't allow maintenance here to do those sorts of repairs, and they don't want to put money into this machine because it has bad spindle bearings and other issues.

with that attitude the only solution is sell the machinetool for a price of scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    with that attitude the only solution is sell the machinetool for a price of scrap.
    hy mr bunny you put it pretty well and direct

Quote Originally Posted by Mechsoldat View Post
    I'm going to not shut this thing down again like ever, problem is we're near Seattle and have frequent wind storms, we've lost power a few hrs a couple times already this winter.
    there are rare cases, when the grid power may have such a pulse that will smash throgh all cnc's / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg