585,582 active members*
4,385 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

poor cut quality on the y axis

hey there
    our shop recently bought a chinese 1325 cnc from a local vendor, it produces poor cut quality when cutting along the y axis,
    probably due to vibrations, when I checked, I that the gantry is a bit off square with the x axis, I realigned it, which indeed reduced the noise and I got a bit of improvement in cut quality, I retightened the belts on the gearboxes,checked that the r&b has no play,
    what i should i check next?

Quote Originally Posted by skouliou View Post
    hey there
    our shop recently bought a chinese 1325 cnc from a local vendor, it produces poor cut quality when cutting along the y axis,
    probably due to vibrations, when I checked, I that the gantry is a bit off square with the x axis, I realigned it, which indeed reduced the noise and I got a bit of improvement in cut quality, I retightened the belts on the gearboxes,checked that the r&b has no play,
    what i should i check next?
    Are you cutting in the master-slave direction ?

Maybe workholding is poor, your cutter or you are climb milling instead of conventional milling.

Then check spindle bearings and X/Z belts, rails and leadnuts. Free play can allow vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post
    Are you cutting in the master-slave direction ?

Maybe workholding is poor, your cutter or you are climb milling instead of conventional milling.

Then check spindle bearings and X/Z belts, rails and leadnuts. Free play can allow vibration.
    thanks for the quick reply,
    honestly it's the first time I heard about master-slave, sounds interesting, I'm googling it now to learn more about.
    it.
    I'm using a new bit, indeed I'm doing climb cuts, but conventional cuts results in the same surface roughness.
    I'll check the x and z axis first thing tomorrow and report back my findings.

Re: poor cut quality on the y axis

That is a terrible cut, what kind of aluminum are you using? A new endmill and a tight machine will never look like what you have. Also try again with reduced depth of cut. I think you have the gummy aluminum alloy

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    That is a terrible cut, what kind of aluminum are you using? A new endmill and a tight machine will never look like what you have. Also try again with reduced depth of cut. I think you have the gummy aluminum alloy
    I'm not cutting aluminum, it's pvc foam sheets, 5mm thickthe end mill I'm using is a new single o-flute spiral upcut,
    should cut like butter, well.. it does on the x axis, but not on the y