584,800 active members*
4,518 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Machining out parts, how long to do each part

Post Machining out parts, how long to do each part

Hello,
    I am an undergraduate corrosion engineering major, I am performing a design project which requires me to 3D print metal, I am given bulk 3D printed 316L stainless steel and am required to machine out 3 different parts from each, the first part, an ASTM G-38 C-ring, with a thickness of 1.54mm, a total length of 19mm and an outer diameter of 19mm, it also requires the use of a #10-32 machine screw (around 0.20in bore hole) and i require 65 of them for testing different parameters of 3d printing
    the second part is a basic rectangle for use in SEM it's dimensions are 3inches by 2 inches with a very small thickness i require 60 of them
    Finally, i require a dog bone shaped Slow strain rate tensile testing, dimensions are in the photo, i require as well 65 of them as well.
    for each part, knowing that the material is 316L stainless steel, what would the speed be per part assuming a 5-axis CNC Milling machine?
    any help at all would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has any other questions let me know, I do not know however, the machine that will be used (this is a capstone design project without actual lab, more of a hypothetical design)
    Thank you very much

Re: Machining out parts, how long to do each part

Just the time per part?, not including them time to cad them up, generate the cam, and create any needed fixtures? And you are missing tolerances. 0.001" is easy. 0.0001" is going to take forever.
    You are milling out of a 3d printed sample? I've heard of that before to verify sample properties but the shape of the sample is going to determine a lot. Can we bandsaw the sample into coupons first, does the dogbone have to come out of a specific region of the sample, etc.
    Just milling the dogbone on a 5 axis is on the order of a few minutes, but hours of time could go into the setup to get the time down that low. Some big machines could rough out that dog bone in just over a minute and others would take 20 minutes each. But thats assuming a fairly low surface finish. The better finish you need to more the time will go up.

What is the hardness of the 316 when it comes out of the printer.? Usually 316 is only strain hardening but I would want to account for any weird affects from the 3d printing process.
    The C ring is going to be the hardest part, that thing is just designed for maximum chatter.

65 of each isn't in the thousands needed to justify some serious mfg optimization. So at a small shop you are probably looking at a basic fixture design and mfg, few hundred dollars in tooling cost since it's stainless and you are removing a lot of material and then 2 days of machining time.

You'd get a much better answer using a site like xometry where they can use your cad files to generate an estimate.

wire edm might be a better option on the C rings.