585,575 active members*
4,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Servo will not move and showing alarm code.

Servo will not move and showing alarm code.

SDF20NK9X servo driver
    110F-0625TDL-Z 1.5kW AC Servo

I am having trouble with this motor. I am new to servos and I'm not sure it's set up correctly. Having gone through the manual I believe I had the parameters set correctly but it is somewhat vague. I was able to get the motor to jog briefly with the driver but now the motor will not move and throws an alarm code for "Mechanically stuck or loaded
    more than 130% above rated value."

All of the wires were labeled when I bought it and I'm pretty confident I have them connected correctly. Brake circuit is on an external 24v supply. I can only imagine either the parameters are incorrect, the motor is damaged, user error, or user error leading to motor damage.

According to manual parameters are set as:

Pn1: 13 (default motorID)
    Pn4: 3 (jog control mode)
    Pn22: 450rpm
    Pn95: Force enable

I can press the button to jog but the motor will hum slightly then throw the alarm. If anyone has any ideas of things to try I would appreciate them. I've reached out to the manufacturer and seller but it's been almost 6 months since it was purchased so I dont have high hopes for that. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsan82 View Post
    SDF20NK9X servo driver
    110F-0625TDL-Z 1.5kW AC Servo

I am having trouble with this motor. I am new to servos and I'm not sure it's set up correctly. Having gone through the manual I believe I had the parameters set correctly but it is somewhat vague. I was able to get the motor to jog briefly with the driver but now the motor will not move and throws an alarm code for "Mechanically stuck or loaded
    more than 130% above rated value."

All of the wires were labeled when I bought it and I'm pretty confident I have them connected correctly. Brake circuit is on an external 24v supply. I can only imagine either the parameters are incorrect, the motor is damaged, user error, or user error leading to motor damage.

According to manual parameters are set as:

Pn1: 13 (default motorID)
    Pn4: 3 (jog control mode)
    Pn22: 450rpm
    Pn95: Force enable

I can press the button to jog but the motor will hum slightly then throw the alarm. If anyone has any ideas of things to try I would appreciate them. I've reached out to the manufacturer and seller but it's been almost 6 months since it was purchased so I dont have high hopes for that. Thank you.
    I think the X at the end of the code may indicate it has a brake (or a Z). If there's brake and it's not energised for motor rotation there will be considerable drag causing a motor overload.

Check all motor and encoder wiring and function of motor brake.

Re: Servo will not move and showing alarm code.

Yes it has brake. Tried to add in another post but it didn't take for some reason.

When brake is released the shaft spins freely when motor off and locks when reapplied.
    When motor is powered with brake released I can move shaft but it jumps between poles.
    When jog command is sent it will either lock the shaft completely and throw alarm or it will make a rough jump about 15 degrees before locking and throwing alarm.

I've tried several different parameters like changing jog control to speed control. But this does nothing and throws the same alarm.

Hi,
    is this new? If so what does the supplier say?

Craig

Hi,
    have you tried putting it in analog velocity mode and giving 9V say with a little 9V battery? Should cause the servo to run at about 90% of rated speed.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    is this new? If so what does the supplier say?

Craig
    Yes it is new servo and driver. I've just contacted them today. I'll have to see if they even bother to respond since it was bought about 6 months ago. Was just thinking maybe I was doing something stupid since I'm not familiar with servos. It's looking like the motor/driver is bad or I'm missing some critical parameter. I've been all over the manual but I can't find what I'm missing. Ordered a cable to try and run the motor through Mach4 and see if that does anything different but I doubt it.

Hi,
    have you tried putting it in analog velocity mode and giving 9V say with a little 9V battery? Should cause the servo to run at about 90% of rated speed.

Craig
    Haven't tried that. I'll have to hunt down a battery tomorrow and give it a shot. Thanks for the idea.

Hi,
    does the servo driver have set-up and tuning software?

Most servo manufacturers now have software that you install on a PC and use that to program the drive and tune it. There are just too many parameters to reliably set-up and tune a servo
    if you are pressing buttons on the drive just like a microwave. It's too tedious and error prone.

If the servo has set-up software.....use it.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Jsan82 View Post
    Yes it has brake. Tried to add in another post but it didn't take for some reason.

When brake is released the shaft spins freely when motor off and locks when reapplied.
    When motor is powered with brake released I can move shaft but it jumps between poles.
    When jog command is sent it will either lock the shaft completely and throw alarm or it will make a rough jump about 15 degrees before locking and throwing alarm.

I've tried several different parameters like changing jog control to speed control. But this does nothing and throws the same alarm.
    So with brake released you can turn the motor pole to pole, ie 15 degree notchy steps?

Can you try open loop parameter ?

Your parameter for 450rpm is that correct ? It has a rated speed of 2500 in info I read, or is that jog speed parameter ?.

Look in the drive manual they usually have a chapter on testing the drive. The 24v power must be on to ensure the brake is released. The getting started chapter tells you the 3 or 4 things required to enable and move the motor

Hi,

Craig
    Tried analog speed with battery. Same problem. One thing I'm noticing is it doesn't seem to matter what direction I tell it to move. It might jump forward twice then back once.

Hi,
    does the servo driver have set-up and tuning software?

Most servo manufacturers now have software that you install on a PC and use that to program the drive and tune it. There are just too many parameters to reliably set-up and tune a servo
    if you are pressing buttons on the drive just like a microwave. It's too tedious and error prone.

If the servo has set-up software.....use it.

Craig
    Tuning software is not readily available for this. From what the reviews say most people just tune them manually from drive. The manual does show software but I'd have to get it from seller or manufacturer. So I'll just have to hope they answer at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post
    So with brake released you can turn the motor pole to pole, ie 15 degree notchy steps?

Can you try open loop parameter ?

Your parameter for 450rpm is that correct ? It has a rated speed of 2500 in info I read, or is that jog speed parameter ?.
    With brake released and power on I can move shaft. It's not notchy and it's further than 15 degrees. It's 5 pole motor so I can jump around a circle 5 times evenly. It only does the rough jumps when giving it commands to move. I will have to search manual for open loop parameters.

Pn22 450 is jog rpm parameter. Max rpm is some other parameter that I can't remember. I haven't mess with that one. 450 is default though I've tried 100,50,20. Same thing with all.

Seller did answer earlier but was just saying to check for loose wires, low voltages, and correct MotorID parameter. The motorID I'm using is allegedly set for motor by manufacturer but I'm trying to confirm with seller if it's correct. Hoping to get tuning software from them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Look in the drive manual they usually have a chapter on testing the drive. The 24v power must be on to ensure the brake is released. The getting started chapter tells you the 3 or 4 things required to enable and move the motor
    Manual is pretty vague and in broken english. It's a cheap chinese servo sold by about 10 different companies. It mostly just says force enable drive and change Pn4 control parameters and tell it to move.
    Last edited by Jsan82; 03-21-2023 at 12:27 AM.