584,862 active members*
5,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > HAAS MDC-500 Z-Axis Servo Oscillation Issues (motor tuning)

HAAS MDC-500 Z-Axis Servo Oscillation Issues (motor tuning)

Does anyone have experience tuning HAAS servos?

I have a 2007 HAAS machine here that's just had the Z-axis ballscrew and support bearings replaced. The locknut on the bearing block had come loose and the bearings had gone off kilter and started wearing into the ballscrew shaft until it seized.

The machine moves now, but the Z axis oscillates subtly when commanded to hold position if there is a disturbance. I don't have any instruments that can record frequency, but it's an audible hum and a bearing vibration meter on the head gives me 0.3mm/sec. Disturbances include, machining something, running at high RPM, or a bump from actuating the tool clamp/unclamp. Stops oscillating if you change the set point by even one micron.

Too me this sounds like a control issue, but I'm not sure where to start without any documentation. Could be that the servo performance has changed due to pushing through high load. Could be that the coupling has worn and allowing a bit of slop. Or could be that the servos had been tuned to suit the higher friction of the previous bearings and ballscrew.

Before throwing money at a new a servo motor that may not fix the problem I'd like to try tweaking the motor tunings. I'm inclined to try increasing D Gain, lowering the torque preload or I Gain slightly, or adding a bit of deadzone.

I could use some advice from anyone who has attempted tuning a HAAS machine previously.

Current Parameters X-Axis Y-Axis Z-Axis
    P Gain 32 32 32
    I Gain 48 48 64
    D Gain 6000 6000 4000
    D2 Gain 1000 1000 1000
    Deadzone 0 0 0
    Acc/Dec T constant 500 500 350
    Torque Preload 0 0 600

Re: HAAS MDC-500 Z-Axis Servo Oscillation Issues (motor tuning)

Seems to have been solved by leaving gains alone but enabling LowPass+2X on parameter 29. Need to put covers back on and test to be sure.