585,759 active members*
3,910 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > KM3 with Ultimax II Memory Board failure

KM3 with Ultimax II Memory Board failure

My Hurco stopped working and said there was a memory failure , so I know that the Dallas chips ( which are original)
    had failed , so I followed Bloke's advice and replaced the memory chips and installed batteries.
    But when reinstalled with the board, I now had nothing. neither screen lights up ( even though it did when the Dallas chips failed)
    and the control board( with trackball ) failed to light. It's as if I had a power failure ?
    So I then removed both the new memory chips and batteries from the board .
    Then I started looking for new Dallas chips and was successful with product from Digikey and they were ordered ,
    Those were than installed ( Built in batteries) and then placed the board back in the Hurco, and again, nothing, zip, nada ..
    I used the ground straps when doing this work
    Any thoughts or help
    Anyone have the memory board schematic.
    Bloke, are you still here ?

Rich
    I should add, that I was able to temporarily borrow another memory board and when installed after doing the above, all works !!! so i am sure it is a memory board issue

Re: KM3 with Ultimax II Memory Board failure

...sounds like the bios has reset ...do you have Keyboard to boot to BIOS? older DIN 5 pin plug somewhere 90's machines most of the time. Then, set the date/time then.... look for Auto detecting the HDD , CompatFlash...etc...>Save and >reboot. Se what happens

DJ

Thanks DJ .for the suggestion ... My machine does not have tape or disk drive so let me look into that.
    Rich

DJ, no plug found except for a 7 pin connector -looks like military
    I do not have a keyboard , only digits for input

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    Rich
    I should add, that I was able to temporarily borrow another memory board and when installed after doing the above, all works !!! so i am sure it is a memory board issue
    ...I'm not a Hurco guy but......If, your machine will run with the borrowed board..there should be a way to get the files you need maybe.....I think you can Save the Parameters, Backup files to FDD or RS232 maybe etc...

DJ

ANy help is appreciated
    Since the original Memory Board did not work with the install of batteries and memory chips ( black Screen) I purchased a used memory board from eBay
    I looked for a Ultimax II memory board in my search, however it is Version 8.61 while my old KM3 version was a 8.5
    Turns out this board was in a BMC machine and has all sorts of functions not in my KM3.
    Things like Chip Door or tool changer. The lack of input for these functions means the control is not operable, even manually
    Is there a way to shut off these inputs to just run regular KM type functions. ?
    I don't even know what a "chip door" is

Rich

All is well,
    Hurco tech Service returned my call for help, and suggested that I do the following--which worked
    There is a row of chips next to the battery slots, they are system chips (12 that are identified with version number ( like 8.5) are not the memory Chips ( ala Dallas ect)
    Keep their order in placement -important.
    So I numbered them and removed them from my old failed board and placed them in order in the newer board after removing the BMC chips
    Perfect.. back to my old system ..lost all the programs ..but that is fine...Also make sure all dip switches match the old board
    Thank You Hurco Tech Service... on a Machine that is 35 years old ( they tell me)