585,660 active members*
3,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > 2006 Hurco VM1 Spindle Issues

2006 Hurco VM1 Spindle Issues

Good day all. I have a 2006 VM1 Ultimax with Yaskawa VS626 spindle drive. When I try and run the spindle it will only turn very slow and then will fault out with a OL1, which is a Current Over Load. Even if I try to increase the speed manually, I get the same. The control read out shows the input increase but I get nothing at the spindle. Yesterday I put the Spindle drive in digital operation so I could jog the spindle from the drive and received a PGO - Pulse Gen Open Circuit alarm after about 5 secs of turning slow. That one threw me for a loop and must say I didn't expect to see the PGO. I'm not sure if that came from me trying to jog from the panel or is that a legit fault.

Guys, I know its dang near impossible to diagnose stuff like this without being there, but any help would greatly be appreciated. Other then the spindle issues, this is a very nice machine that I want to keep. I don't want to walk away from this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by caddysnponys View Post
    Good day all. I have a 2006 VM1 Ultimax with Yaskawa VS626 spindle drive. When I try and run the spindle it will only turn very slow and then will fault out with a OL1, which is a Current Over Load. Even if I try to increase the speed manually, I get the same. The control read out shows the input increase but I get nothing at the spindle. Yesterday I put the Spindle drive in digital operation so I could jog the spindle from the drive and received a PGO - Pulse Gen Open Circuit alarm after about 5 secs of turning slow. That one threw me for a loop and must say I didn't expect to see the PGO. I'm not sure if that came from me trying to jog from the panel or is that a legit fault.

Guys, I know its dang near impossible to diagnose stuff like this without being there, but any help would greatly be appreciated. Other then the spindle issues, this is a very nice machine that I want to keep. I don't want to walk away from this machine.
    Disconnect the motor and check the windings with a multimeter to earth and phase to phase for a short to ground. If you have a Megger ohm test meter and know how to use it, test it with that.

Check the wiring from the drive to the motor for damage. If everything checks out externally with motor and cables, the problem is likely to be the drive, transistors etc. So the drive will need checking out and repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by caddysnponys View Post

Disconnect the motor and check the windings with a multimeter to earth and phase to phase for a short to ground. If you have a Megger ohm test meter and know how to use it, test it with that.

Check the wiring from the drive to the motor for damage. If everything checks out externally with motor and cables, the problem is likely to be the drive, transistors etc. So the drive will need checking out and repaired.

Btw. Is the spindle free to turn by hand? Not tight or brake dragging?

Re: 2006 Hurco VM1 Spindle Issues

First off thank you for taking your time to help, cause I do appreciate it a lot.

Ok i will check the motor now.

As far as the spindle being free, when the machine is off or not commanding the spindle to turn its turns smooth as silk. However I did notice yesterday that when I commanded jog from the drive I hurried back around the machine to the spindle, realized it wasn't turning (after commanded)and tried to turn by hand and it was tighter than a banjo string. Almost like a brake was being applied.

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post

Btw. Is the spindle free to turn by hand? Not tight or brake dragging?
    Hey Servtech. the motor check out good. Would you know any tests i could perform on the driver to see maybe that's the issue?

Did you ever find the answer. PG0 Fault is related to the spindle encoder. first thing to check is the encoder connector on the side of the spindle motor. with power off pull the plug and reseat it. Other things to check does the spindle motor fan work if not their is a good chance the spindle encoder roasted. Also could be a bad PG card. does it have the 626 drive?

Quote Originally Posted by powerr View Post
    Did you ever find the answer. PG0 Fault is related to the spindle encoder. first thing to check is the encoder connector on the side of the spindle motor. with power off pull the plug and reseat it. Other things to check does the spindle motor fan work if not their is a good chance the spindle encoder roasted. Also could be a bad PG card. does it have the 626 drive?
    No i never did get it fixed. I bought the machine in oct 2020 and to this day have never used it because i cant figure it out. I tried getting some service techs out here but it seems like they want to charge me 2-3k and i cant afford that. The fan was burned out and i replaced it. All it does is turn really slow for about a minute or so then faults out with a PGO. Thanks for looking

- - - Updated - - -

No i never did get it fixed. I bought the machine in oct 2020 and to this day have never used it because i cant figure it out. I tried getting some service techs out here but it seems like they want to charge me 2-3k and i cant afford that. The fan was burned out and i replaced it. All it does is turn really slow for about a minute or so then faults out with a PGO. Thanks for looking

No Its still in the same spot as Before. I purchased this machine in Oct 2020 and to this day never used it because of this fault. Yes it does have the 626 Dive

You said you never had this Spindle running so, possible that someone has a Parameter set wrong hopefully. Try...disconnecting the Encoder and see if, the Spindle errors out the same code. Check Accel Rate parameter is not set to short. The manual if, this is the manual for drive.
    https://www.yaskawa.com/downloads/se...num=TOE-S626-8

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    You said you never had this Spindle running so, possible that someone has a Parameter set wrong hopefully. Try...disconnecting the Encoder and see if, the Spindle errors out the same code. Check Accel Rate parameter is not set to short. The manual if, this is the manual for drive.
    https://www.yaskawa.com/downloads/se...num=TOE-S626-8

DJ
    Thank you DJ i will try that now. Also you are correct about never been able to get the spindle running. When i purchased the machine it had sitting for a little while and not had power connected to it.

Any chance you have a oscilloscope laying around? If you do you can pull the front off the drive with the machine powered up and we can look for the encoder signals when it is rotated by hand.
    I am still betting on a spindle encoder issue. I have seen the fans go out on those motor several times and, each time the heat from the motor roast the encoder on top of it.

I doubt it is the motor it is fairly robust

I could be the drive.
    If you are in the US you can send the drive to Precision zone and they will test it for you. You could call them first I don't think is costs much to test it.

You can download the manual for yaskawa 626VS and check the motor code selection (parameter C1-25 on your yaskawa), when you adjust that parameter to your corresponding motor it will automatically change all the parameters regarding accelerating, decelarating and other regarding the motor parameters. But i would first check the physical wiring of the encoder (especialy near the motor), because i had cases where people were cleaning their machines before selling them and unintentionaly broke some. I am assuming given the year 2006 you have white round spindle motor, and on the cap of the motor (that is protecting fan) there is encoder connector, and check that connector wiring from the inside of that cap.

Just wanted to come on here and send a Thank You for all who responded and tried to help. It ended up being the encoder that was bad. I did replace it and machine is back up and running. Thanks Again to all!!!!