584,874 active members*
5,208 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Probing for tool breakage

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process (for the first time) of setting up my tool probe to probe for tool breakages after each operation.

I have a 4th axis fitted. i have programmed to start my parts at A0 working around in 90 degree increments having 2 parts at each position.

So the last operation for T1 is A270, and I then want to check T1.

The problem I'm getting is the machine is alarming out as A is not at zero. Is it possible to edit the macro to disable this? As I don't want to have to send the rotary back to A home every time.

I hope this is understandable.

Any solutions would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Leighton

Quote Originally Posted by piepie View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm in the process (for the first time) of setting up my tool probe to probe for tool breakages after each operation.

I have a 4th axis fitted. i have programmed to start my parts at A0 working around in 90 degree increments having 2 parts at each position.

So the last operation for T1 is A270, and I then want to check T1.

The problem I'm getting is the machine is alarming out as A is not at zero. Is it possible to edit the macro to disable this? As I don't want to have to send the rotary back to A home every time.

I hope this is understandable.

Any solutions would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Leighton
    Usually, the reason for locking out tool probing is to prevent a collision and avoid damage to the machine or probe.

This can be done by the PLC and/or the probing cycle macro. You need to establish first which error you are getting, PLC or a program jump to an error line in the macro. If it's macro you could open and edit the probing cycle, or write a completely new macro allowing a tool probe where you want. However if it's PLC/NC, then you will have to return to A0.

A method many people use is to probe the tool length when called before use and again before putting it away. If excessive wear or tool break is found the tool is disabled. If a few microns wear is measured the tool length can be automatically updated if required.

Re: Probing for tool breakage

Hi there

in process probing and tool checks are amazing i've been using it for about 2 years and have saved a whole lot of taps finishing tools
    Just wanted to know if you are using the code generated by youre controller for the probe action or is it CAM generated .Ive had mixed results with the CAM ones .
    And are you using renishaw probe system ?
    If so i might be able to help
    I just checked a tool at a odd A axis angle to be sure that i dont have the same issue and had none

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm using the haas wips tool breakage template.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-07 174927.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	490267

The image attached shows the 09025 program I opened it and deleted the part highlighted. This stopped the a axis zero position alarm and I'm now able to check tools during the program.

Thanks

Leighton

I would put it between brakets, or jump it.

thus leave a trace, a reminder
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by piepie View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm using the haas wips tool breakage template.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-07 174927.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	490267

The image attached shows the 09025 program I opened it and deleted the part highlighted. This stopped the a axis zero position alarm and I'm now able to check tools during the program.

Thanks

Leighton
    Good to know, thanks.

Ive been using these two cycles that ive aliased to M303 (attended tool check O9003) and M304 (unattended tool check O9004) .It makes it easier to integrate as you dont have to re-post the code every time for each tool .The M301 stops the program if break is detected where as the M304 flags the tool then indexes a clean pocket (in my case always T2 ) then skips to a M30 to switch of the machine if setting 2 is .
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've made a copy of the original prg before editing so I will always have a copy. I went through the template for each tool and copied the code to a usb naming each one for said tool. I then copied the codes into the custom code within onecnc and just pulled each one in at the end of each cycle the tool has been used. I'm unable to set up sister tooling (clean pocket) as all my stations are full ( I've lost 3 stations due to large tooling)