585,902 active members*
4,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Gantry 3-axis milling machine Design preparation phase

Threaded View

Lightbulb Gantry 3-axis milling machine Design preparation phase

Hello, I have been planning to build a Gantry 3-axis milling machine that can work with (wood, aluminum, maybe steel)
    I have some experience with running a wood router, but now i'm trying to build a smaller one just as hobby

The machine that i'm trying to build will be
    Over all length of linear rail (Y 1200mm, X 800mm, Z 350-400mm)

Parts i bought
    - 20mm Linear rail way
    - 20mm Ball Screw
    - BK15 BF15
    - Cheap Angular Contact Ball Bearings
    - Stepper Motor Nema 34 4.5NM
    - Stepper Driver DM556
    - Power Supply 48v
    - NVCM 6 Axis Control board

I started to design the machine on Solidworks before i buy the Steel that i will be using to build the machine, since i'm planning to build the machine out of Steel plates and connecting them using screws + welding since i don't have access to a welding stress releveling shop around me

If you look at the design i'm planing it looks like Mr-1
    I will keep updating this post with the design for each phase since i didn't finish it yet, hoping i get some feed back on the design and the choices i made

Now the Questions part
    - BK Balls crew support came with Deep Grove Ball Bearing, I'm planing to change it with a cheap Angular Contact one, is it gonna make it better Or because it's Cheap unMatched Angular Contact it will be even worse than the stoke Ball Bearing
    - For the x Gantry it will be made of 10mm steel plates combined into a Square or Rectangle Which size is the Strongest and is it even worth going to higher size (200x200 Or 150X200 Or 150x150 Or 100x150 Or 100x100)

I will have more questions in the future, just waiting to have the parts in solidworks so i can ask based on them

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front.jpg   Side.jpg