585,599 active members*
3,640 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Best 2.5D CAM software for hobby use

Best 2.5D CAM software for hobby use

Hi CNCers

I'm looking to purchase a decent 2.5D cam software for use with my benchtop milling machine. I really need to be able to input an STL or Iges file, rather than using a DXF or similar.

Any ideas? Obviusly the cheaper the better!

Many thanks

Rich

CamBam! Nothing to touch it in my humble opinion.

Available here:- http://www.cambam.co.uk/

Cheers.
    Martin.

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Most 2.5D CAM software won't read .stl files, as they are usually only used for 3D machining. I would think the same goes for IGES.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Try BobCAD-CAM , They can import .STl and .IGES files and toolpath off them. they also have a very good 2D and 3D toolpath options including the new HS pocketing by Volumill.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Most 2.5D CAM software won't read .stl files, as they are usually only used for 3D machining. I would think the same goes for IGES.
    CamBam reads in - and can cut in 3D - STL files and 3DS files, as well as the usual 2.5D (and 3D for engraving etc) DXF files. GOT to be worth a look. Andy has made a great progam in CamBam - not like the buggy stuff you get elsewhere. It may not be as fast as some, but I find it very solid and dependable. Check out the CamBam forum and see if you can find any genuinely unsatisfied users.

Cheers.
    Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by rich_cree View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a decent 2.5D cam software for use with my benchtop milling machine. I really need to be able to input an STL or Iges file, rather than using a DXF or similar.
    Stl is not useful for 2 1/2 axis Cad-cam because the round details are approximations and not arcs. The centers of holes are not accurately defined and the diameters are faceted, which is also not accurate to define the size for precision machined parts. Because of this .STL is more useful for 3D surface machining and stereolithography ( rapid prototyping), which would be considered 3 axis, not 2 1/2 axis.

Iges files can contain both 2 1/2 axis features and 3D surfaces, and even approximated surfaces like those found in .stl. It is the most versatile and widely used information exchange format when accurate information is required.

Vector Cad-Cam will process iges and .stl files, as well as dxf and Rhino 3dm ( open nurbs). The NC-Features functions in Vector 12 permit you to use the solid model ( Iges file) to process multi level pockets with open sides, to optimize, multiple tool, drilling operations, to 2D contour silhouettes of 3D shapes, and many other functions, beyond what can be done with simple 2d Cad drawings and related cam programs.

http://www.vectorcam.com

Fred Smith - IMService

EZ-CAM Best CAM Software

Hi,

EZ-CAM imports stl files. It also has great reviews on CNC Zone. Give it a try.

Dolphin cad cam. Price + functionality, and also providing it is both cad & cam, I think it's really a great program. 3D, I love surfcam. But for 2d and 2.5d, dolphin does wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by rich_cree View Post
    Obviusly the cheaper the better!
    Granted this is a hobby and you don't want to spend too much, be careful in selecting a CAD/CAM.

Do yourself a favor and try a few demos and make sure it will do what is advertised. Always use the "Buyer Beware" approach in any purchase.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

http://www.shopcam.com/ the shopcam demo that i had posted previously is worth looking at , its got a full working 30 day demo that will post code so a guy can see fully whether the software suits their needs or not , in my opinion its the best thing within its price range
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Re: Best 2.5D CAM software for hobby use

viaconstructor: free,fast,easy to use and runs on all platforms:

https://github.com/multigcs/viaconstructor

Looks good but first must test it

Dear Rich,
    For hobbyists looking for 2.5D CAM software, here are a few suggestions:

Fusion 360: This popular option is great for both hobbyists and professionals. It provides a wealth of features, such as 2.5D milling, and supports various file formats like STL or IGES. Plus, its free version is accessible to hobbyists while the paid version remains competitively priced when compared with other options available on the market.

Carbide Create: Carbide Create is an user-friendly software solution tailored to hobbyists. It specializes in 2.5D milling and supports STL files, with both a free version and reasonably priced paid version available.

CAMWorks: This more sophisticated software is used in professional settings, but it also has a hobbyist version available at an affordable cost. It supports STL files and offers various features for 2.5D milling operations.

Vectric Cut2D: Vectric Cut2D is a popular option among hobbyists. It supports STL files and offers various features for 2.5D milling, such as toolpath creation and previews. Plus, it's reasonably priced with an available free trial period.

Ultimately, the best choice for you will depend on your individual requirements and budget. I suggest researching each option thoroughly and reading reviews from other users to help inform your decision.

I hope this was of some assistance!

Quote Originally Posted by revida1211 View Post
    CAMWorks: This more sophisticated software is used in professional settings, but it also has a hobbyist version available at an affordable cost.
    Hi Revida, I have been researching the topic for a while and this is the first time I hear CAMWorks offers a hobby license. I couldn't find any information about this on their website. Could you please provide more information: where did you hear about this, what is included in the hobby version, and what is the cost?

It depends on what you doing. Solid works is one of the best in my opinion and the price is high, I never come across CAMWorks hobby licenses…
    If you mostly work with wood or plastic and sometimes aluminium I would suggest Vectric Desktop. It is CAD/CAM software and they have demo tryout as well.
    Their hobby license is about $360 and it’s very simple to use. There are a lot of youtube tutorials.
    I think they gave me all I need.

I use Condacam. Is the cheapest of all.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/32462125628...Bk9SR-CHu8uJYg