584,800 active members*
4,678 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak chatter spindle variation

I'm running parts that weigh thousands of pounds and they stick out so far I struggle to control chatter the only solution I've found is to stand there for 30 min and go from 80-150 spindle speed back and forth.

I see okumas and haas have ssv or hssc options built in but I'm not as familiar with mazak. I'm running a mazak Slant turn 60N. And all the programs I'm given are fanuc controls.

I'm not sure how to adjust for that or if I even can. Would need step by step if possible. If I have to adjust variables or parameters or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate0 View Post
    I'm running parts that weigh thousands of pounds and they stick out so far I struggle to control chatter the only solution I've found is to stand there for 30 min and go from 80-150 spindle speed back and forth.

I see okumas and haas have ssv or hssc options built in but I'm not as familiar with mazak. I'm running a mazak Slant turn 60N. And all the programs I'm given are fanuc controls.

I'm not sure how to adjust for that or if I even can. Would need step by step if possible. If I have to adjust variables or parameters or something.
    Axis drive responses are tuned by the builder to accomodate workpieces within the machining envelope. Oversized and overweight components will disrupt the axis response and cause chatter, by altering spindle speed you are simply altering the noise frequency.

Manufacturers do build in spindle and drive parameter program codes to stiffen the axis rather like electronic backlash compensators on old machines. Spindles may be fitted with accelerometers to automatically adjust spindle speeds and drive responses to reduce vibration causing the chatter.

Mazak use Meldas controls and are an advanced system, there may be codes built into the programming to help you, you may need to delete some of the spurious Fanuc program codes being used.

You need to study the Meldas program manual and also establish what options the machine has installed by Mazak. Just running a fanuc program may not help your situation either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate0 View Post

Look up "feed forward" programming for your control, you may be able to soften or stiffen drive responses to reduce chatter.