584,841 active members*
4,467 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Falcon 200 acramatic 2100 issue

Falcon 200 acramatic 2100 issue

Looking for some smart people with experience with the acramatic 2100 control! My machine was sitting idle and then started rotating the turret nonstop on its own. I shut the machine down before I looked at what alarm it through and powered it back up and now I’m getting the cnc engine failure alarm. I’ve read I could have lost settings in the rt bios. Wanted to see if that sounds correct? The pc power supply looked horrible so I went ahead and bought a new one so I’m thinking that may have been what caused the original issue but not 100% sure on that. When I boot the machine now I get the two red leds lit up on the bridge board and get the rt failure alarm. I ordered an isa video card to see if I can get into the bios od the rt board but just wanted to see if I’m on the right track. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Justintro8487 View Post
    Looking for some smart people with experience with the acramatic 2100 control! My machine was sitting idle and then started rotating the turret nonstop on its own. I shut the machine down before I looked at what alarm it through and powered it back up and now I’m getting the cnc engine failure alarm. I’ve read I could have lost settings in the rt bios. Wanted to see if that sounds correct? The pc power supply looked horrible so I went ahead and bought a new one so I’m thinking that may have been what caused the original issue but not 100% sure on that. When I boot the machine now I get the two red leds lit up on the bridge board and get the rt failure alarm. I ordered an isa video card to see if I can get into the bios od the rt board but just wanted to see if I’m on the right track. Thanks!
    Well, not to be critical, I think you shot yourself in the foot a little by turning off the power. I know it's easy for me to say, but for a service tech the last thing we want to see is lights out on a machine, particularly those with an intermittent fault. Next time e-stop or drives off button only unless the machine is smoking, because you will lose all the current messages and errors. When powering on its working blind if the control fails to boot.

That said, your symptoms were unusual. For the turret to suddenly revolve would suggest there was a problem with the turret motor circuit, or servo if it has one. I have had a machine performing un-commanded actions when a power supply failed then sending spurious voltages as inputs to the plc.
    Alternatively, the motor drive could have failed or shorted the motor contactor (or servo) to put phase power on the turret motor.

Your control could be seriously damaged and using a parts cannon may not fix it.

Can you post photos of the LEDs currently lit and the turret wiring diagram pages.

Thanks.

Re: Falcon 200 acramatic 2100 issue

Hey, thanks for the reply! Yes I definitely should have taken a picture of the alarm before shutting the machine off but the turret was rotating into my chuck jaws! I did initially try the estop but it did nothing! I can get some pictures of the LED's that are on tomorrow when I get back to the shop but until then here are some pictures of the current screens after boot up. Thanks again for you help!

Attachment 490322
    Attachment 490324
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	490326

It looks like the RT board failed. You can take the right hand board out of the control and check the battery but don't take it out!!! The battery should be over 3 vdc put the black lead on the frame and the red lead on the top of the battery, but don't take it out or try to replace it

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Hey, thanks for the reply! Yes I definitely should have taken a picture of the alarm before shutting the machine off but the turret was rotating into my chuck jaws! I did initially try the estop but it did nothing! I can get some pictures of the LED's that are on tomorrow when I get back to the shop but until then here are some pictures of the current screens after boot up. Thanks again for you help!

Attachment 490322
    Attachment 490324
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	490326
    Horrible situation you had, I didn't realise your turret was colliding with the spindle.

Looking at your photos I wouldn't be surprised if the motherboard had failed. I can only sympathise, It looks like you need a really clued up acramatic engineer to work this through on site.

Yeah the rt board is what I was thinking as well. Figured it would be one of the easiest things to check first. ISA video card should be in the mail tomorrow so I’ll check it out. I’m hoping the bios is fine and just lost its settings as I have no clue where to get the .bat file to reflash it!

Yeah the rt board is what I was thinking as well. Figured it would be one of the easiest things to check first. ISA video card should be in the mail tomorrow so I’ll check it out. I’m hoping the bios is fine and just lost its settings as I have no clue where to get the .bat file to reflash it!
    Well I hooked up the graphics card to the rt board along with power supply and I’m getting no signal to the monitor. I don’t know if the card I was sent is bad or the rt board is dead.

You need to send it to FIVES machine company 800-934-0735 to get it re-flashed about $500 last time I checked. What was the DC voltage on the battery?

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Quote Originally Posted by meckardt55 View Post
    You need to send it to FIVES machine company 800-934-0735 to get it re-flashed about $500 last time I checked. What was the DC voltage on the battery?

Thanks, going to give them a call today. I didn’t check the voltage but the battery had a date on it from 2014.

Although your pictures are not conclusive, as mentioned previously it looks like it could be a RT Bios issue. However, as these get older I've also been seeing some boards DOA for various reasons. For example, a power supply failure (especially with all the old/used/refurbished power supplies shops have been buying) or the end user reversing the power connectors can damage the board.

I test/reflash these for shops regularly for a lot less than Fives or Siemens charge, but if the repair is beyond just a new battery and reflash I recommend sending the board to Siemens for repair in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by maver1ck View Post
    Although your pictures are not conclusive, as mentioned previously it looks like it could be a RT Bios issue. However, as these get older I've also been seeing some boards DOA for various reasons. For example, a power supply failure (especially with all the old/used/refurbished power supplies shops have been buying) or the end user reversing the power connectors can damage the board.

I test/reflash these for shops regularly for a lot less than Fives or Siemens charge, but if the repair is beyond just a new battery and reflash I recommend sending the board to Siemens for repair in most cases.
    Maver1ck I sent you a private massage

Maver1ck I sent you a private massage
    Ok I got my rt board back from maver1ck and everything passes diagnostics now. I do have an alarm though. Its 39-48 turret has been crashed and needs to be realigned and switch cleared. This alarm was up when the machine was idle originally when the turret started rotating on its own so I wonder if it was trying to find position or something. Also I should not that I can take and rotate the turret by hand telling me it is not locked into position. Anybody know if the procedure for fixing and clearing this?

Ok I got my rt board back from maver1ck and everything passes diagnostics now. I do have an alarm though. Its 39-48 turret has been crashed and needs to be realigned and switch cleared. This alarm was up when the machine was idle originally when the turret started rotating on its own so I wonder if it was trying to find position or something. Also I should not that I can take and rotate the turret by hand telling me it is not locked into position. Anybody know if the procedure for fixing and clearing this?
    Ok I think I located it. The bracket looks to be crooked holding the crash switch allowing the switch to make contact with the turret. Found it in the parts manual

If your turret crashes it will most likely be out of position slightly so don't just move the switches to the turret to get it running. You will need to make sure the turret is locked into a tool position (i.e. tool 1), then align the turret and set the switches back to where they need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by maver1ck View Post
    If your turret crashes it will most likely be out of position slightly so don't just move the switches to the turret to get it running. You will need to make sure the turret is locked into a tool position (i.e. tool 1), then align the turret and set the switches back to where they need to be.
    I’ll certainly check it as soon as I finally get this thing up and running!

I’ll certainly check it as soon as I finally get this thing up and running!
    Previous poster is correct.

Lock at tool station 1 then at X0 sweep the turret tool bore from the spindle using a finger indicator to check for a radial error.

Release the turret disk bolts and using a copper hammer to gently knock the turret back into position. (There may be a taper pin tool and hole for realignment, don't leave it in after use).

If you still have an error, you may need to adjust the X0 point and readjust the radial position again until at X0 the indicator sweeps 0-0 around the bore.