585,712 active members*
3,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > UCCNC and rigid tapping
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: UCCNC and rigid tapping

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    This code does indeed work with UCCNC. I just got it working tonight. I first had to enable the A Axis. and then set Pin 7 Port 2 and Pin 8 Port 2 to the A-axis Step and Direction.

The code in practice is super simple. Just set G91, a Feed Rate, and issue a G01. Then issue a -Z and A to tap down in the CW direction. Then issue a +Z and -A to move the tap upwards in the CCW direction.

To use this rigid tapping ability means that I have to hand modify code generated by Fusion 360. I am hoping that a new encoder will let me use the Fusion 360 code without any modifications.

I plan to use thread milling in the future.
    You could mod a Post processor for 360 to do the code output however you want it to be, so when you want to do threading you just use the modified post processor to do any Threading cycle you need, keep your regular post processor as is, if it works how you want it to for normal use.
    Mactec54

I just realized that UCCNC is capable of rigid tapping, unlike Mach 3. I understand that LinuxCNC, PathPilot and Acorn can also do rigid tapping.

My Torus (body of a NM-145 and the electronics of a Pulsar) is already capable of rigid tapping but it uses non-standard G-code to do it. It would be great to be able to use the G-code directly output from Fusion 360 without any manual hand coding.

Apparently UCCNC requires feedback from a rotary encoder located on either the spindle or motor shafts to do rigid tapping.

Has anyone successfully installed such a rotary encoder on their mill?
    Interesting thread! I've had pathpilot running on my Torus for a couple years, was wanting to dive into rigid tapping. I have added an encoder to my Lathe, and have it talking to Pathpilot and was hoping to do the same with my Torus somehow. Are you saying that your "Torus" has a servo on the spindle and it already has an encoder? My Torus (as far as I know) has a simple AC motor for its spindle.

Scott...
    Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Quote Originally Posted by sagreen View Post
    Interesting thread! I've had pathpilot running on my Torus for a couple years, was wanting to dive into rigid tapping. I have added an encoder to my Lathe, and have it talking to Pathpilot and was hoping to do the same with my Torus somehow. Are you saying that your "Torus" has a servo on the spindle and it already has an encoder? My Torus (as far as I know) has a simple AC motor for its spindle.

Scott...

My Torus does have a servo spindle with an encoder. You can see the servo and encoder in the pictures below. Your Torus Pro is a completely different machine than mine.

Attachment 490652

https://web.archive.org/web/20130325...//novakon.net/

Attachment 490654

https://web.archive.org/web/20130417...bedmills/torus

Your 1.5 kW spindle motor is a beast compared to my 1.2kW servo spindle motor, but I envy your 6000 rpm. I am limited to 4500 rpm which is annoying. I am seriously considering changing the spindle pulley to one with fewer teeth so I can get higher rpm’s. Losing the ability to do 1/2” rigid tapping (according to Novakon) would be acceptable if I could have 6000 (or higher?) rpm all of the time.

Do you think that adding an encoder to your Torus Pro will enable PathPilot to do rigid tapping with your existing spindle motor?

Do you think that adding an encoder to your Torus Pro will enable PathPilot to do rigid tapping with your existing spindle motor?
    I believe it will. I have not tried it yet, but I know that you can rigid tap in PathPilot with their Lathes.

Scott...
    Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Page 2 of 2 12