584,849 active members*
4,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

built-in named parameters

Is there a maintained list of PathPilot's built-in named parameters, more inclusive than the one at G Code Overview?

I had been maintaining two different warm-up routines for my 770, one to use when it was in the High spindle-speed configuration, and one to use when it was in the Low spindle-speed configuration. Just recently, I discovered the #<_spindle_rpm_min> and #<_spindle_rpm_max> parameters, and I can use them to produce a single warm-up routine that adapts to its environment.

I suspect that there are more such Tormach-specific parameters.

Re: built-in named parameters

There are LinuxCNC named paramters and then there are PathPilot named parameters and THEN you can also access the Hal side parameters/pin values.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Where is a list of the PathPilot named parameters?

Probably no such list other than the few mentioned in the PathPilot Manual. Tormach is not big on giving out details of PathPilot.

(;-) TP

Can we use this thread to build such a list? The only ones (not in the PP manual or in the G Code Overview) I know about are
    • the spindle-speed limits (#<_spindle_rpm_min> and #<_spindle_rpm_max>)
    • the absolute coordinates (#<_x_machine>, #<_y_machine>, and #<_z_machine>).

What have other people discovered?

Does the Linux cnc website not detail named parameters?

@Mountaindew said
    Does the Linux cnc website not detail named parameters?
    It does, but there are some not in the lists in Sections 3.4 & 3.5 of G Code Overview

I've assumed that those additional parameters are specific to Path Pilot, but it could be that they are active in all versions of LinuxCNC, just not listed with the others. In any event, there are usable built-in named parameters that are not in the above-cited lists.

You would need to search through all the PathPilot code to see if you could find where they created the Named paramaters and THAT is a lot of searching (;-). When I get time I will take a peek to see what I can find.

(;-) TP

I just did a fast sweep of the PathPilot codebase and the ONLY place I found "#<_spindle_rpm_min> " was inside of NGC programs. That would indicate that that Parameter was unique to LinuxCNC not PathPilot.

Just a thought< (;-) TP

I wasn't hoping for a complete list. I thought that members of the forum could contribute whatever parameters they'd happened upon, and that the list could grow here over time.

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    I just did a fast sweep of the PathPilot codebase and the ONLY place I found "#<_spindle_rpm_min> " was inside of NGC programs. That would indicate that that Parameter was unique to LinuxCNC not PathPilot.

I discovered #<_spindle_rpm_min> and #<_spindle_rpm_min> inside a .NGC program that appeared on my 770 after a PathPilot upgrade, but I don't know how that bears on whether those parameters are unique to PP or part of any LinuxCNC engine. For what it's worth, when I write gCode subroutines (for PathPilot, since I have no other LinuxCNC engine), I create them as .NGC programs.

Indeed you do have a linuxcnc engine PathPilot runs on it . Yes that parameter use is in 2 Gcode programs written for spindle warmup. IF Tormach had created it it would have shown up in the Code somewhere beside those 2 progam files. In those 2 file Tormach just used the parameter it was not created there.

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Indeed you do have a linuxcnc engine PathPilot runs on it .
    Right. What I said was that I have no other LinuxCNC engine.

_spindle_rpm_max and _spindle_rpm_min were specifically created to be used in the spindle warmup program of Pathpilot, they're not standard from LinuxCNC. There's never been a list of Pathpilot specific parameters made, the only two I remember off the top of my head are _pi and _epoch_time.

Quote Originally Posted by footpetaljones View Post
    There's never been a list of Pathpilot specific parameters made, the only two I remember off the top of my head are _pi and _epoch_time.
    Thanks. _pi will be useful.

If you search the PathPilot directory (~/tmc) using ^\s*self.params\[ as a regex, it pops up a list of the PathPilot created parameters. Most are in ~/tmc/configs subdirectories.

Predefined Linuxcnc named parameters are listed here: G-code Overview

Quote Originally Posted by gerritv View Post
    Predefined Linuxcnc named parameters are listed here: G-code Overview
    Yes; read posts #6 & #7 above. I was looking for PathPilot-specific ones, like _spindle_rpm_max , _spindle_rpm_min, _pi, and _epoch_time

Quote Originally Posted by Fenichel View Post
    Yes; read posts #6 & #7 above. I was looking for PathPilot-specific ones, like _spindle_rpm_max , _spindle_rpm_min, _pi, and _epoch_time
    I assume that you read the previous paost as well? a grep of ~/tmc with that regex will show you the defined globals for PathPilot (they all start with _)

I read it, but I haven't yet had a chance to fire up my 770 to check out those files.

Page 1 of 2 12