584,866 active members*
5,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I Beam Calculations / Size Needed?

Hello all, I need an I Beam mounted in my building with the ability to suspend 1,000lbs from it but figuring out the proper size has been way more difficult than I thought it would be. I am hoping someone here can just give me a rough estimate if some of the local I beams in my area will work. I know I should pay a mechanical engineer for this, but what I need is so simple I am hoping someone here can help me.

All I need is a steel I beam that is 17' long and can hold 1,000lbs in the center. The beam will only be supported at the ends and I have no way of providing additional support in the middle.

A local supplier has the following sizes:

S 3" X 5.70#
    S 4 X 7.7#
    S 6 X 12.50#

I think the S6 would work, but I really have no idea. 1,000lbs is 5x the actual maximum weight I plan to support. The weight in the center when it is attached will be fixed, so no rolling up and down the I beam.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Re: I Beam Calculations / Size Needed?

Nevermind, I finally found an online calculator that I could understand. It shows that with the S6 I can support up to 1900lbs at the center before deflection becomes unacceptable. So I will go ahead and get the S6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iBeam-Calculations.jpg  

Re: I Beam Calculations / Size Needed?

How did this turn out? Curious to see the setup as I am needing something similar done...