584,860 active members*
4,998 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > HY04D023B & G-Penny 3.2 kw spindle setup?

HY04D023B & G-Penny 3.2 kw spindle setup?

I just got a G-Penny BST 3.2C-100-24K, 220V, 3.2kw, 15A, 400 Hz, 24000 rpm water cooled spindle and a
    HY04D023B Input 220V 50/60Hz, Output 3Ph, 0-220ac, 4.0Kw, 18A, .5-400Hz VFD

Lots of questions.
    I will need a 25' cable, the boot in the plug looks like it is made for a 3/8" dia. cable. I could use up to 1/2" dia cable and mold a new seal.

I have an IGUS distributor near me, What would be the recommended cable?

No instructions came with the spindle. I measured continuity from the plug pins to the spindle body and determined Pin 4 is ground.
    Am I correct in assuming the other 3 pins, 1,2,3, can be connected to any of the U,V,W, screws on the VFD?

The Instruction manual that came with the VFD seems to assume that I would have some idea how to program it, I don't.
    Maybe it will make more sense to me when I can turn the power on and push buttons, but I don't want to do something premature and wreck it.
    Do I need to wait until I have the cable to the spindle connected before I power it up?

Re: HY04D023B & G-Penny 3.2 kw spindle setup?

Quote Originally Posted by planebuilder View Post
    I just got a G-Penny BST 3.2C-100-24K, 220V, 3.2kw, 15A, 400 Hz, 24000 rpm water cooled spindle and a
    HY04D023B Input 220V 50/60Hz, Output 3Ph, 0-220ac, 4.0Kw, 18A, .5-400Hz VFD

Lots of questions.
    I will need a 25' cable, the boot in the plug looks like it is made for a 3/8" dia. cable. I could use up to 1/2" dia cable and mold a new seal.

I have an IGUS distributor near me, What would be the recommended cable?

No instructions came with the spindle. I measured continuity from the plug pins to the spindle body and determined Pin 4 is ground.
    Am I correct in assuming the other 3 pins, 1,2,3, can be connected to any of the U,V,W, screws on the VFD?

The Instruction manual that came with the VFD seems to assume that I would have some idea how to program it, I don't.
    Maybe it will make more sense to me when I can turn the power on and push buttons, but I don't want to do something premature and wreck it.
    Do I need to wait until I have the cable to the spindle connected before I power it up?
    Pin Connection is like this.

Pin 1=U
    Pin 2=V
    Pin3-W

Pin4 Ground

For cable this will work for you, the next size up will be over .450 outside Diameter.

This cable will handle 22A

CF6-15-04
    https://www.igus.com/product/950?artNr=CF6-15-04

The next size up would be
    CF6-25-04

For the VFD Drive input wiring 240v R Hot T Hot Plus Ground is connected to the Ground Terminal or the Bus Bar Ground where all your Ground wires should Terminate.

Programing is not a problem, just don't connect the spindle until the VFD Drive is Programed
    Mactec54

I have read that these come from the factory with the input set at 50Hz and I should change it to 60Hz before operating the spindle.
    pd003 Main Frequency is set at 400, pd004 Base Frequency is set at 400 , are these input freq, should they be set to 60Hz?
    The only other possibility I found was pd176. Inverter Frequency Standard , It's set to "0" (50Hz according to the manual) I changed it to "1" (60Hz) then press "set", the display goes to pd177, I go back to 176, press set to look at it and it's still set to "0"?

I have read that these come from the factory with the input set at 50Hz and I should change it to 60Hz before operating the spindle.
    pd003 Main Frequency is set at 400, pd004 Base Frequency is set at 400 , are these input freq, should they be set to 60Hz?
    The only other possibility I found was pd176. Inverter Frequency Standard , It's set to "0" (50Hz according to the manual) I changed it to "1" (60Hz) then press "set", the display goes to pd177, I go back to 176, press set to look at it and it's still set to "0"?
    I have all the Parameters that you will need to set.

Yes, that is correct most VFD Drive are standard 50Hz / 60Hz from the factory which is to suit the industry standard AC 3Phase motor.

For your Spindle motor it has to be Programed to suit the motor Specs, if not it will be damaged.

There are no Parameters that can use 50Hz or 60Hz for your Spindle so in the Programing this can only be 400Hz and the minimum speed of 100Hz

Don't play with Parameters like the 176 you will get yourself in a mess! they should be left as Default values they have nothing to do with your Spindle Parameters that are required.
    Mactec54

"I have all the Parameters that you will need to set."
    ok, so can you list them for me?

"I have all the Parameters that you will need to set."
    ok, so can you list them for me?
    I though you were only at the wiring stage so did not post them.

Huanyang Mactec54
    3.2Kw 220v 400Hz Water Cooled

PD000=0 (0 For Parameter unlock) (1 For Locked)

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 (1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control)
    (J1 Also Needs to be set for Remote Terminal Control 1-2 jumper connection)

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=250

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage)

PD009=138

PD010=11

PD011=100 (100 Minimum Setting)

PD013= 08 (is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings)

PD014=8 ( Acceleration Adjust to suit)

PD015=8 (Deceleration Adjust to suit)

PD023=0 (Forward Run Only)

PD041=8 (Carrier Frequency up to 10 Max for these Spindle motors)

PD120=120 ( Stall Prevention)

PD141=220 (Motor Rated Voltage)

PD142=15 (Motor Rated Amps)

PD143=2 (Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) 3,000= (24,000)

PD070=0 (This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v)

PD072=400

PD073=100 (100 Minimum Setting)

PD174= 18 (To Be Set to the VFD Drives Max Rated Output Amps)
    Mactec54

Thank You Thank You!
    I am at the wiring stage, but I can get it programed and ready, it won't take long to install the cable to the spindle when it gets here, hopefully tomorrow.
    I owe you big time, I would be lost without your help, but it's making sense now. I have rebuilt the router on my CNC table too many times and it's dying, this spindle will be a huge improvement.

I finally got the cable from IGUS, they don't move fast.
    What is the best way to deal with the shield on the cable?
    Just end it not connected, connect to ground wire, connect one end only or both ends to ground or outer casing?

I finally got the cable from IGUS, they don't move fast.
    What is the best way to deal with the shield on the cable?
    Just end it not connected, connect to ground wire, connect one end only or both ends to ground or outer casing?
    No, it can never be connected to a Ground wire or a Ground Bus, yes you found the correct way to do it, for the Spindle end you are very limited with the type of plug that it uses so you can do the same thing at the spindle end as well by clamping the shield as close as you can to the Spindle within 6" is fine, a P-Clip is best or similar which you can make yourself from copper Etc. Shields can only be clamped to the Ground Plane
    Mactec54

Can the shield clamp at the spindle end be clamped to the body of the spindle?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to blow up this new spindle.
    I got it spinning, but it runs backwards. I can reprogram the VFD to allow reverse and when I press REV, it runs forward. I don't think this is the best solution. Is it like "normal" 3ph motors where if I swap 2 wires, like V&W at the VFD , then it will turn the right way?
    I don't have speed control on my BOB ( Sound Logic, PC-2-Route -N ) but it has a 12V on/off output that I now use to turn the old router on/off.
    There are 6 pins to control a spindle, but they need to connect to another board to control a spindle, and I don't know what board would work with this?
    Any ideas what board I could add to control the VFD?
    Can I turn on/off the spindle through the VFD with the 12V output?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to blow up this new spindle.
    I got it spinning, but it runs backwards. I can reprogram the VFD to allow reverse and when I press REV, it runs forward. I don't think this is the best solution. Is it like "normal" 3ph motors where if I swap 2 wires, like V&W at the VFD , then it will turn the right way?
    I don't have speed control on my BOB ( Sound Logic, PC-2-Route -N ) but it has a 12V on/off output that I now use to turn the old router on/off.
    There are 6 pins to control a spindle, but they need to connect to another board to control a spindle, and I don't know what board would work with this?
    Any ideas what board I could add to control the VFD?
    Can I turn on/off the spindle through the VFD with the 12V output?
    No, your VFD Drive does not need any voltage to turn it 0n /0ff! your VFD Drive needs a Relay output connected to FWD and DCM N0 voltage required on the output of the Relay, the input voltage to the Rely can be switched by what ever the input voltage is rated for.

So, you would use an output to switch the Relay that is configured in the control also.

Do you need speed control also which is PWM to 0-10v Analog.
    Mactec54

Thanks, now I understand how to trigger a relay to connect FWD + DCM to turn on.
    Yes I would like speed control.

Thanks, now I understand how to trigger a relay to connect FWD + DCM to turn on.
    Yes I would like speed control.
    No if it does not run the correct direction then you should check the wiring first, they normally run the correct direction if wiring is correct!

Spindle end Plug Pinn #
    Pin 1=U
    Pin 2=V
    Pin 3=W
    Pin4= Ground
    Mactec54

If wires are correct, and it runs backwards, can I swap 2 wires like V&W to get it to run right direction?

If wires are correct, and it runs backwards, can I swap 2 wires like V&W to get it to run right direction?
    Or U&V but make sure first as they all have this standard wiring.

Note the Ground wire connection may be at the other end of the Terminal Block.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle Wiring Penny.PNG  
    Mactec54

I want to get this running and I installed a POT to control speed, it's working and I can live with manual speed adjustment for now.
    The problem I have now ( and this will show my electronic ignorance) is to turn it on and off with mach. I have an SSR, controlled by mach, that turns the old router on and off.
    So I thought I could use the same type of SSR, instead of passing voltage through it to run the router, I can use it as a switch to connect/disconnect DCM+For to turn the spindle on/off.
    Connecting DCM+For manually works well, but, When I connect the wires to the SSR, weird things happen. When I energize the ssr the spindle doesn't start, if I disconnect a wire from the ssr ( still energized) then reconnect, the spindle starts. If I shut off the ssr the spindle continues to run until I manually remove the wire. If I put the wire back on the ssr, the spindle stays off.
    Your probably shaking your head if you read this far.
    I assume the ssr is the wrong one for this application. Pic below. Is there one I can buy that would work, energized by 12V from my BOB to connect DCM+For?

I want to get this running and I installed a POT to control speed, it's working and I can live with manual speed adjustment for now.
    The problem I have now ( and this will show my electronic ignorance) is to turn it on and off with mach. I have an SSR, controlled by mach, that turns the old router on and off.
    So I thought I could use the same type of SSR, instead of passing voltage through it to run the router, I can use it as a switch to connect/disconnect DCM+For to turn the spindle on/off.
    Connecting DCM+For manually works well, but, When I connect the wires to the SSR, weird things happen. When I energize the ssr the spindle doesn't start, if I disconnect a wire from the ssr ( still energized) then reconnect, the spindle starts. If I shut off the ssr the spindle continues to run until I manually remove the wire. If I put the wire back on the ssr, the spindle stays off.
    Your probably shaking your head if you read this far.
    I assume the ssr is the wrong one for this application. Pic below. Is there one I can buy that would work, energized by 12V from my BOB to connect DCM+For?
    That is an AC SSR you should be using a DC input DC output switching and may need Zero crossing

Test the one you have though to see if it is working from the control with M3 / M5

Then when you test the new SSR before you connect it to the VFD Drive test that the output is turning 0n / 0ff with M3 / M5

Don't do that with your wires you could easily short out the VFD Drive inputs and damage it.
    Mactec54