585,729 active members*
5,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Want to add touch probe to Ladder in Fanuc PLC

Want to add touch probe to Ladder in Fanuc PLC

Hi All,

I have a CNC machine with Fanuc 0i-MD control. I would like to add a touch probe to it. I have added a video showing that I am trying to do.

https://youtu.be/TowOjMaWQS8

I also have the ladder program. Please let me know if anyone could help.

Thanks,
    Tarek

Re: Want to add touch probe to Ladder in Fanuc PLC

Where did you get the idea that you need to change or alter the ladder to install a touch probe? I've installed probes on two Fanucs and never did anything with the ladders other then what you're doing by verifying the skip signal is working.

If you MDI a G31 skip move and while the machine is moving, touch those two wires together and the machine stops, that's all you need for probing. A working skip signal. The rest is either home grown Probing Macros or those from Renishaw or others.

Well... that and a machine interface and receiver that works with your probe. (You do not hook up your probe directly to that input, but to it through the probe Machine Interface.)

You might want to find a spare M code or two for turning on and off the probe, but even that doesn't necessarily mean altering or messing with the ladder.

I installed probes on a Fanuc OMC and 18MC

Look into the Installation Hardware and Installation Function manuals for you OiMD. You might be able to find a High Speed Skip Input.(That may be what you've already fond. )

I think the X inputs are generally the normal skip signal. That F one you found sort of rings a bell on my 18MC install, and that uses the High Speed Skip input.

It was a lot of research and work for me to install these probes, but eventually I got them both going. Tool touch probe too.

There's a lot of info to be found in the Renishaw Install Manuals and Software Manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by kljlkjdshfjkhkjhk View Post
    Hi All,

I have a CNC machine with Fanuc 0i-MD control. I would like to add a touch probe to it. I have added a video showing that I am trying to do.

https://youtu.be/TowOjMaWQS8

I also have the ladder program. Please let me know if anyone could help.

Thanks,
    Tarek
    you need to learn how a probe si working and what are macros are doing
    it seems that you want to do something without reading the manual
    this is not a push button on like TV
    need to study and understand what is high speed skip that use 5v signal
    good luck

Hi, Thanks for the advice, I tried the G31 in the MDI and it worked and the machine stopped when I touched both wires.

Now I am looking for the Renishaw macros to try them, any idea where I could find them.

Thanks,
    Tarek

Great... I thought that G31 would work for you. What system are you using? Did you get everything connected up and wired in?

To answer your question, you get the Macros from Renishaw of course.

I am making my own DIY touch probe, The Renishaw products are quite pricey. There are a lot of online videos of people making their own mechanical touch probes. I wanted to get the software side figured out first since it is the hardest part for me.

I don't know how to get the macros since I don't have a Renishaw probe. I have been looking online to find the macros one by one, it is a slow process. Any faster ideas?

Thanks,
    Tarek

You're making a spindle probe or tool setter? Sounds like Spindle. Seems tough to do from scratch. Lucky you to have the spare time. I bought all my Renishaw stuff off of ebay, and some from of Metrology Parts. All Legacy stuff. Still a little costly but nothing like brand new. On the probes you have to take a keen eye looking for crash marks on the probe bodies. The receivers and interfaces are usually reliable and don't break often.

Writing some probing macros would be a good project to nail down Macro B programing skills. That's beyond me but I know people have done it.

I know how to write Macro B but I prefer to find them online and download them.

There are a couple of reasons I want to make my probes, 1. I know my workers will crash it sooner or later. 2. I am based in Egypt and importing is near impossible here. 3. I don't need such a high accuracy.

Thanks,
    Tarek

Sorry to hear that. I'm going to look up some youtube videos about making probes and see what it's all about. Not that I want to make one, but just to check out the ideas used.

I wish you luck.

Hi Tarek,
    You are definitely on the right track. I went through all of the same learning that you did. It is surprising how *little* information there really is about this subject. Anyhow, you have found the correct hardware interface point. The next step is macros. This gets a little tricky... The macros for a tool setter are moderate in size. The macros for a probe are very large. The two will take about 150K, as I recall, if you want to load all of the different options (you could cut some out, if you really wanted to). In modern computer terms, those are very very small. However, it ancient CNC terms, those are actually quite large. I only had 64K in my 1990s vintage Mitsubishi control. Plus, adding memory to a CNC is not always that easy because the manufacturers like to charge lots of money for enablement of very inexpensive physical memory. Often the memory will actually exist on the boards but be turned off in software.

I tried to send you a private message, but it looks like you have not enabled that feature. I don't know why CNCZone has this 'off' by default. If you want to receive a message, you must:

Login -> Settings (top) -> General Settings (left side) -> turn on Private Messaging

There are a lot of videos on making probes and such. They really are not that complicated. Renishaw makes a LOT of money off what is really a pretty simple design. That said, they do make nice equipment, and it has some great features. I have never seen an optically connected DIY probe, for instance, but that is pretty standard for the Renishaw line now (well, the probes..... The tool setters are often still hard wired). Renishaw interface boxes also have some nice features so that the probes are electrically isolated from the expensive controls. They charge a good amount of money for some simple electronics... But, again, they are providing a turn key system that works very well.

Rather than making a tool setter at this point, I think I'd opt to just buy one of the guys from China. They are dirt cheap, but they do come with one limitation. Unlike the TS27R types, the Chinese things are plunger only. As such, you cannot use the TS as a means of detecting/verifying the diameter; they are tool offset length only. Still, for a guy at home, that can still be a good addition.