585,708 active members*
3,850 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach 4 > I can't figure out why I get "A motor seems to be stuck backing off of a home"

Question I can't figure out why I get "A motor seems to be stuck backing off of a home"

I didn't get any replies from the actual Mach4 forum so maybe someone here knows the answers to these questions?

Every time Mach4 starts I have this in the history even though they have not been touched:

Home switch Y Home tripped!
    Home switch Y Home tripped!
    Home switch Z Home tripped!

And ever time I run the homing sequence I get these warnings over and over:

!!!!WARNING: A motor seems to be stuck backing off of a home switch! Check the diagnostics tab to see if the Home switch indicator is active when the switch is not!

But no motors are stuck and everything references fine.

Any ideas?

Lastly how do I chance how far the axis will back off of the home switch? My Y axis clears it but the X & Z tend to stay just enough on them to keep them triggered.

Re: I can't figure out why I get "A motor seems to be stuck backing off of a home"

Sounds like the polarity of your input switches need to be switched from active high to active low. It is telling you they are already tripped when you start. Go to diagnostics page and watch those inputs as you press the switches by hand. 99% sure this is a configuration error on those inputs

Re: I can't figure out why I get "A motor seems to be stuck backing off of a home"

You can also adjust the amount of back off after limit switch is hit

Hi,

You can also adjust the amount of back off after limit switch is hit
    That is not strictly correct.

When Mach homes it drives the axis towards the home switch. When the home switch activates it decelerates to a stop and then backs off UNTIL the switch de-activates.
    That depends on the hysteresis of the switch but typically 1/2 a mm or so. Mach, both 3 and 4, have always been that way.

Where the confusion lies is that some motion controllers allow the axis to back off a programmed amount....but note that this is NOT under Mach4 control
    but is done by the motion controller and is programmed in the motion controller plugin, not Mach4 at all. For instance PoKeys motion boards have done
    this for some years whereas the Ethernet SmoothStepper has had that same feature for only about two years and still there are some motion boards
    that do not have this feature. It is dependent on the motion controller not Mach.

Craig

I am using the ESS and found the back of settings.

I have the switches set to active low in the ESS plugin configuration screen but it won't stick in the Mach4 input screen. I'm also finding none of my input settings are sticking in Mach4 but they do in the ESS. I even created a new profile to see if something was corrupted with my original profile. Same issue. I set things up in the ESS plugin screen and then the mach4 config screen and hit apply. Leave it. Come back to the Mach4 "Control" screen to check the configurations of my inputs and they are all gone. It's almost like something is read only suddenly.

Ok disregard my last reply for the most part. Nothing I change in the ESS plugin screen seem to get rid of the tripped home switch alert and I cannot make it go faster when homing. I changed it from active low, which it was already at in ESS, to High just to see and no change. Changed it back to low. and same.