584,841 active members*
4,548 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Little tool to ease the CAD process

Little tool to ease the CAD process

Hey guys, I would like to share a little tool I made. It's use case is very specific, intended to help in reverse engineering (copy parts) or maybe a helper to the CNC operator to not be subjected to the cad guy for simple drawings.

The app will take a .jpg picture and return a clean .dxf file ready for the CAM software. The DXF will consist on closed loops representing the outlines of the parts you've drawn. I'm working on the recognition of inner holes at the moment, but I tought it's ready to share.

I'm still working on it, on the algorithm responsible for the detection so if you have suggestions fell free to contact me.

The critical part is to have a GOOD picture, the algorithm will first look for a nice sharp good looking sheet of paper, if that step succeed it will probably return a good DXF.

The outline will have some error, but will be well under the oxicut or plasma accuracy. Of course it is not intended for copy things like gears or parts that need a tight fit with each other... FOR NOW.

Sorry about my english.

https://imgtodxf.web.app/

Re: Little tool to ease the CAD process

hy nico, congratulation on your work

The critical part is to have a GOOD picture
    regardless of image, contours are initally defined within a color range : all pixel colors of rgb+-tolerance are to be selected initially

for example, take a picture, and select from it all pixels with color between 220 220 220 .. and 230 230 230

the algorithm will first look for a nice sharp good looking sheet of paper
    look for color range

The app will take a .jpg picture
    begin with formats that don't loose original colors, like bmp, png; jpg quality varies with it's compresion

I'm working on the recognition of inner holes at the moment
    let's supose your orignal image is a blue shape inside a red shape; using color range, you can extract each of the 2 separatley, then later on check if one selection is fully inside the other selection; you can do this at raster level, or at dxf level

checking if the selection is a circle, requies also dealing with pen width, so 1st sugestion is to try images that have 1px pen widht, thus the circle has no width;

otherwise, once the circle has width, then you should be able to detect it's inner and outside boundary, thus you will end up with 2 entities for each circle, and this will lead you to a larger situation, as for each selection for pixels drawned with >1px pen width, you will end up with 2 entitties

I'm still working on it, on the algorithm responsible for the detection so if you have suggestions fell free to contact me
    check 1st how other program are working, understand what is doing each one differently, then, if you wish, particulaize it for your self

Of course it is not intended for copy things like gears or parts that need a tight fit with each othe
    there are inspection machines, that work on the principle or paralel-light ... they get a accurate image, but the software has no clue that the image was accurate or not, only the creation process makes it so

in other words, if you wish, you could also make your own aporach for gears, etc

please, feel free to ask anything / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: Little tool to ease the CAD process

Thank you very much. I'll try it out as soon as I have time.