585,735 active members*
5,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Variables with Tailstock

Variables with Tailstock

I'm working on a program for a Okuma LB35 III and have a question. I want to use the G152 W??? to move the tailstock into position after boring the center. Once the part is complete I want to move the tailstock back to is home position. I know where the tailstock should end up at (example G152 W60.0) My question, how can I bullet proof the starting location for future runs? i.e. someone uses a longer or shorter center. Right now we are G152 W20.0 but that may change based on the variables mentioned. I see there is a variable called "VZOFW", can I used this to help solve the problem and if so how would that look? it looks like the operator should be able to set this on each run and can easily record the position he finds but is it better to have him change the W20.0 position or have the variable at the beginning of the program?

Thanks in advance to anyone that will take the time to point me in the right direction.

Thank you,
    Bob Foster

Re: Variables with Tailstock

We usually just use a standard variable # on our lathes. We put it at the beginning of the program and on each set up they just put in the number. So for this I would put this at the top of the program:

#500=20.0 (Tail stock position)

In the program then it would be

G152 W#500

Then it is always easy to find the location of the variable to change it. But also we actually assign tool numbers to all of our centers and put that on our tool sheet so that the same center is always used.

Re: Variables with Tailstock

Quote Originally Posted by jreynolds5 View Post
    We usually just use a standard variable # on our lathes. We put it at the beginning of the program and on each set up they just put in the number. So for this I would put this at the top of the program:

#500=20.0 (Tail stock position)

In the program then it would be

G152 W#500

Then it is always easy to find the location of the variable to change it. But also we actually assign tool numbers to all of our centers and put that on our tool sheet so that the same center is always used.
    Thanks jreynolds5, this will be a big help. Adding Tool numbers to centers is a great idea and we do utilize setup pictures.

Thank so much for your help..

Bob