585,712 active members*
3,883 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What's the difference?

Please refer to the 2 XML files attached, they are for MACH3 using a USS. Both are XML files renamed to TXT so I could upload them.

The one titled "Mikini USS Working 05APR23" is working fine.

The one titled "Mikini SmoothStepper" will switch the VFD for forward and reverse, but won't turn the spindle on.

I have compared the files, and don't see what value(s) are different that would make the spindle not work. Can anyone provide a reason it might not be working? I need to understand so I can make sure I make the right choices when setting up MACH4.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Re: What's the difference?

Hi,
    the xml files you've posted are for Mach3......but Mach4 is entirely different so even if you can work out what the difference is between these two xml files
    it will not help you with Mach4.

Mach4 does have a file that serves the same general purpose called the .ini file,I have posted a screen shot of a small part of such a file. You see that it is very much more readable
    than an xml file. The file is composed automatically to reflect the settings you have made in your profile.

I've been using Mach4 for eight years and I've looked inside the .ini file perhaps a dozen times....you just don't need to fiddle with it unless you have a particular desire
    or need, and being that much more readable it vastly easier than xml.

As far as setting up a spindle in Mach4 with an ESS its quite straight forward, more so than Mach3. See the attached pics.

Firstly you choose the type of spindle that you have, I have selected a PWM controlled spindle being the most common, but there are other option including Step/Dir and OB (Out of Band),
    this is found in the ESS plugin under the Spindle tab. Then, again in the ESS plugin, under the OutputSignals tab you have a number of signals that you can use, like On/Off, or FWD/REV
    and of course SpindlePWM, or any combination thereof.

Once you have selected your choices they will be reflected in the .ini file and you'll probably never have to worry about them ever again.

Craig

I successfully got Mach4 working, so I guess I don't care what the differences are any more....
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Hi,
    I had intended that I would use both Mach3 and Mach4, at least initially. That did not happen.....it took some quite considerable learning to get Mach4 running
    and once I did I never touched Mach3 again. I've long since lost my Mach3 license file and can't be bothered getting another.

The only thing I've lost that I really miss is my mind.

Craig