584,830 active members*
5,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Peek & Gf Peek

Anyone have any tips for milling PEEK? Does it have tendancy to distort when machining one side, like SS? Does it require C'bide tools? I have turned mineral filled PEEK in the past and the stuff would were the edge off of carbide within an inch or 2 of cut.
    Finaly does it react with coolants such as Trim E-206?
    Any input is greatly apreciated.
    John
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm-Sir Winston Churchill

If its glass filled I wouldn't use coolant, an air blast would be best. Solid carbide end mills work well and last pretty good.

It will distort like CRAZY, very hard to deal with. Pre-machine the whole thing if its critical.
    Live free or die

Quote Originally Posted by naytep View Post
    Anyone have any tips for milling PEEK? Does it have tendancy to distort when machining one side, like SS? Does it require C'bide tools? I have turned mineral filled PEEK in the past and the stuff would were the edge off of carbide within an inch or 2 of cut.
    Finaly does it react with coolants such as Trim E-206?
    Any input is greatly apreciated.
    John

Great questions John. If I am understanding what you mean by " distorting " we tell our customers that it is best to machine both sides equally to avoid " cupping ". Especially with material as costly as Peek or glass filled Peek. Carbide tools are always your best bet when working with plastics of any sort.

Feel free to flood this material with coolant as it is chemically inert to just about everything but sulfuric acid. I also have a guide to machining peek in PDF format that I can email to you if you like.

I hope this helps you out! Feel free to contact me with any questions about plastics that you might have in the future.

Also for more info on other plastic materials please visit our web site, www.cncplastics.com.

sir spascoe

yes i need the pdf guide to machining the peek very needy bcoz i spent lot of effort for machine the exact parts of peek material but stilll look some kond of soloution,

thanks afisa

Quote Originally Posted by fsa View Post
    sir spascoe

yes i need the pdf guide to machining the peek very needy bcoz i spent lot of effort for machine the exact parts of peek material but stilll look some kond of soloution,

thanks afisa

What is your email address?

need pdf guide for peek machining

Quote Originally Posted by spascoe View Post
    What is your email address?
    sir u asked me my e-mail adress ...very late reply but take it [email protected]

thanks

Are you still having problems with your PEEK parts? Do you need the info I mentioned?