584,850 active members*
4,566 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Heidenhain LE2500B board ID Numbers Bridgeport 720x

Heidenhain LE2500B board ID Numbers Bridgeport 720x

Hi all.
    Could anyone give me the id numbers for the two Heidenhain LE2500B circuit boards. I sent mine away for repair and they have been lost in the post, and I didn't take a copy of the numbers. It has to be the 'B' model, so I am told.
    Even better if someone has these boards for sale!!!
    Thanks in advance.
    Andy

Re: Heidenhain LE2500B board ID Numbers Bridgeport 720x

Dear Andy,

I am not sure if I am right about this, but the LE2500B looks the same as a TNC 355 to me. Heidenhain does this sometimes wherein it changes the labels for different manufacturers (I had this with my DMU50 Evo, wherein the MC422 ID Nr was Deckel maho specific. I swapped it with the Generic MC422 and its working just fine). The LE2500B was specifically made for Bridgeport, but whatever I appear to see online indicates its the same control as a TNC355.

Do you have the machine parameters and PLC backup? If yes, you could try loading them onto a TNC355 and see if it works (There should be some cheap deals available for the TNC355 on ebay. If you don't, you could reach out to me as I have a spare sitting with me as well but that may not be economical to ship from India)

Best regards
    Jaideep

Hi,
    I looked at this and the 355 has different sockets, so some parts will not plug in. I am told even if I rewired them to suit, the boards are too different to work.
    The earlier 150/151 boards will not work either.

Hi Andy,

Please see attached the photos of the two controllers from the technical manuals. They look the same to me- but maybe I am mistaken. The only difference i can find is in the connection to an external PC via RS232/ (In TNC 355 is it connector X26, and in TNC2500 it is X25, however pin out and gender of the connector is exactly same- its direct plug and play)

You wouldn't need to rewire anything from the look if it- it should be plug and play (After loading PLC and parameter backup of course)

Attachment 491756Attachment 491756Attachment 491756Attachment 491756Attachment 491758Attachment 491760.

Best regards

Jaideep

Hi,
    I have the board numbers for the LE2500 if that helps? I have some other boards stored away so when i get a chance i will check them out maybe i have the LE2500BAttachment 492274Attachment 492274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LE2500_2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	492276

That's great to see thank you. Since I started the thread I've actually managed to get the boards with the same numbers as yours which is good to know!

Having fitted them, sadly, I'm still getting the same Gross Positioning Error X C problem.

Having changed the motor, encoder, servo drive board and now the 2500 control board, I'm at a complete loss as to what is causing this! I have checked the cables and have good continuity and insulation resistance in all, and the axis is free to turn by hand, so not seized.
    I don't think there is anything left to test or change!

Hi Andy,

Just to check, is your position feedback to the control via scale or via motor encoder? How does the Servo drive take the feedback from the motor?

I have seen the following combinations so far:
    1. Motor encoder feedback to servo drive, scale feedback to control
    2. Motor encoder feedback and scale feedback to drive, drive interconnect with control for position feedback
    3. Motor with 2 encoders - one for feedback to servo drive, and one for feedback to control
    4. Axis with 2 encoders - one for feedback to servo drive, and one for feedback to control. However, second encoder is mounted on the non drive side of the ball screw
    5. Motor with resolver feedback for control, and tachogenerator feedback for drive (I haven't seen this with Heidenhain though)

You need to check just in case the specific feedback which is connecting to the controller has not been addressed in your diagnosis.

Has there been any change to the parameters? Have you checked the analog setpoint wiring to the drive? If the analog setpoint direction to your control is reverse compared to what it is supposed to be, you will see this error as well.

Best of luck!

Jaideep

I think I come under number 4 in your options.
    There is a rotary encoder on the non driven end of the ball screw, which feeds back to the control.
    There is also an encoder on the back of the motor (it is a fanuc motor with the red plastic cap) which feeds back to the servo drive.
    I have tried swapping the motors from X to Y axis, as they are the same, and the same with the rotary encoder, which was a brand new one.
    I downloaded my original parameters back into the new control, which the machine used to function ok with.

Hi Andy,

Definition of error Gross Positioning Error (Axis name, X in this case) C-

Movement Monitoring
    - The voltage difference calculated by the control has reached the limit programmed in the machine parameter 1140.

Does the axis jerk even slightly before you get the error? If you rotate the axis screw with the machine on (press ESTOP first), does the display show the axis position changing correctly as per your rotation? For example, if your screw pitch is 10mm, does one rotation of the screw by hand show approximately 10 mm shift in position on the screen?

Could you check and compare the types of the new and old encoders? If after swapping the axes motors you are still facing the error, the possibilities are as follows:

1. Encoder type may be the same but the pulses per revolution has changed. This would mean a parameter needs to be changed to match the new encoder (My highest suspicion)
    2. Check if the encoder is mechanically linked properly to the screw.
    3. Have you checked the encoder cable? (You need to check both- fanuc motor to drive and encoder to control).
    4. Is the encoder with a preassembled cable? Or is it with a connector? Is it possible any of the wires were interchanged?

This error basically means that while the axis is moving, the control has detected that the axis movement is excess, beyond the maximum specified tolerance mentioned in Machine parameter 1140. Basically this means that there is a major mismatch between what your encoder is telling your control compared to what your control is expecting to see there. If the axis is moving much slower than expected, you will get Gross Positioning Error A (excessive Servo Lag) which is not the case.

Best of luck!

Jaideep

Ok so I've solved this problem. The servo drive board had been wired incorrectly, so the motor was turning the wrong way for a given command.
    Next issue:
    The Z and Y axis reference fine, but the X axis doesn't.
    It moves until it touches the first limit switch, as it should, but then just stops and hangs instead of turning back and inputing the reference position.
    Any suggestions for this??

Hi Andy,

Congrats on the progress!

Yes for the reference issue, the logic works like this-
    1. Move axis towards limit
    2. Once limit is touched, reverse direction and look for encoder Z reference marker
    3. Once Z reference marker is received from the encoder, stop axis and you have reached the reference.

As you have replaced the motors and encoders, I would suggest removing the encoder which gives feedback to the controller, turning it 1/4 rotation, and reinstalling it. This sometime fixes the issue (basically when the encoder Z marker is too close to the trip dog, the machine halts or behaves erratically)

Best of luck!