585,660 active members*
3,230 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Micro Mill from Micro Proto Systems

Hello
    I have an older Micro-Proto desktop CNC that uses the two parallel ports (printer) for XYZ and A. The controller uses their proprietary MPS2000 CAM system running under DOS.

I would like to upgrade to at least Windows XP or 7. I have been to the Micro Proto Website to look to see what board I need to complete this. (http://www.microproto.com) I see they have a USB upgrade, but I do not know if that will do it or I need additional hardware. Will it control my current 4 axis system?

I realize I will have to move away from their MPS2000 software, that is not a concern, I use a few different CAM packages now for other CNC equipment.

I have called Kurt at Micro Proto 3 times, left messages, and emailed a half dozen times with no reply from them. Does anyone know if they are still in business, or better yet has anyone else performed the upgrade and can offer me a direction?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Micro Mill from Micro Proto Systems

I think you'll need to get a new CNC control box, which controls all 4 axes from a single port. I don't think they'll sell you individual boards. The "USB upgrade" (a UC-100 motion controller) is also going to be required if you don't want to keep using a parallel port. You can get Mach3 or 4 or some other CNC control software if you don't want to keep using MPS2000.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thank you for the reply. I would hate to have to build a new controller. I am pretty confident that they provided an upgrade path for their products. But they may be out of business, so a new controller may be required.
    My hopes are hanging on the description of a board offered for sale on their site:

"
    The Step and Direction Adapter Board can be installed into an existing driver box (before Jan 2004). Installation is a simple process. The board allows common Step and Direction signals to control the MicroMill phase driver system. This makes it compatible with the vast array of step motor control software on the market today. See the Desktop Machining section for links to the various control software packages. "

Maybe I will just order it and see what happens...

Problem Solved!

I will post this in case someone else has the same issue. Micro Proto is officially a spin off of Taig Tools. https://taigtools.com/. (480) 895-6978

However they physically exist in the same building as Taig, so a call to Taig will get to Kurt, the proprietor of Micro Proto Tools.

He still sells the upgrade board and it is the board to run the old DOS based MPS2000 in a Windows environment. (Windows XP to Windows 10). He says it will run the Micro Proto MicorMill 2000 using Mach 3 or other CAM software.

The board should arrive by the end of the week, I will install and follow up.

Hi QGolden,

Did you ever install your board and get your system up and running? I have a few of these old mills i'd like to get moving again with mach3.

All the best,

Ed