585,676 active members*
4,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Ball Screw or helt for a 1500mm X axis?

Ball Screw or helt for a 1500mm X axis?

Greetings!

Before I order, I have this project I've needed to finish for a couple years. Lets call it the X axis Gantry. Its 2000mm long Aluminum I beam. The type you see at concerts or stage shows for lighting etc.

I am looking at this "Linear Guide Rail kit, 2PCS HGR20 1500mm Linear Rail with 4PCS Sliding Block + 1PCS SFU1605 1550mm Ball Screw with BF12/BK12 End Support"

Currently I have a Nema24 with a 15mm belt, but I find it "droopy" at that distance. Its the Whit PVC type belt.

So I am looking at this kit and it comes with or without a 1605 1550mm Ball screw.So I'm thinking this could make my life easier.

What pros or cons would you say going with the Ball Screw vs. the 15mm belt drive?

I can save some money staying with the belt, but I don't feel I can get great tension on it.

I'm Guess the Ball screw drive is slower, but This is really intended for a large scale clay printer. So I don't imagine great travel speeds. Any advice would be appreciated. I really just need to complete this project:-)

Thanks

Max
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SL1500_.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by disneytoy2 View Post
    Greetings!

Before I order, I have this project I've needed to finish for a couple years. Lets call it the X axis Gantry. Its 2000mm long Aluminum I beam. The type you see at concerts or stage shows for lighting etc.

I am looking at this "Linear Guide Rail kit, 2PCS HGR20 1500mm Linear Rail with 4PCS Sliding Block + 1PCS SFU1605 1550mm Ball Screw with BF12/BK12 End Support"

Currently I have a Nema24 with a 15mm belt, but I find it "droopy" at that distance. Its the Whit PVC type belt.

So I am looking at this kit and it comes with or without a 1605 1550mm Ball screw.So I'm thinking this could make my life easier.

What pros or cons would you say going with the Ball Screw vs. the 15mm belt drive?

I can save some money staying with the belt, but I don't feel I can get great tension on it.

I'm Guess the Ball screw drive is slower, but This is really intended for a large scale clay printer. So I don't imagine great travel speeds. Any advice would be appreciated. I really just need to complete this project:-)

Thanks

Max
    Chiron had a high speed machine using a 40mm wide Gates belt, it had adjusters at each end with a roller belt tensioner near the motor. The X axis was 4 metres long

If you tension a belt using the correct belt tension frequency, you shouldn't have any droop. Gates supply a frequency test meter for correct belt adjustment, ie. 250Hz (depending on its belt length).

Re: Ball Screw or helt for a 1500mm X axis?

Hi Max - I agree with servtech. If the belt is correctly tensioned they work very well , even over long spans. I've had a 1500mm machine with 16mm belt and it worked fine for the 4 years I had it and then I sold it. Tight belts are great belts. The 1605 will be very slow. You need a 10mm pitch or even bigger for a X or Y axis. 5mm is good for a Z axis. Peter

Thank you. That will save some $$. I just have to have a better belt solution. Don't laugh. Its just prototyping. Any ideas for tensioning?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20230418_143021.jpg   IMG_20230418_142943.jpg  

Hi Max - There are no std tensioners that I can find. I make a metal bracket that slides the return pulley to tension the belt. Is it a U drive system or a continuous belt system? If a U drive then at one end you place the tensioner. Peter

Its an open loop belt so I guess U drive. I was thinking of tensioning the belt ends at the gantry plate? This is a project I get stuck on, then I come back to it months later. I would like to finish it to scratch it off my to do list:-)