586,009 active members*
4,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Prepping titanium stock

Prepping titanium stock

I need an ongoing supply of 6al-4v stock pieces that are roughly 1/4" thick, 1-1/4" wide, 10-1/2" long. Probably about 20 pieces per month for now. Since titanium generally only comes in sheets, I've just been ordering various sized sheets that I find available and slot cut my stock pieces out of them on the mill with a 1/8" endmill using super glue/tape fixturing method. From there they get loading on pallet with pitbull clamps for machining.
    The current method works but I'm hoping to figure out something more efficient. If I can't find something better, I will at least build some kind of fixture so I can eliminate the tape/super glue. Still that isn't optimal because I get various sheet sizes so the programming is redone every time. I'm guessing waterjet isn't going to be cost effective at my lower quantities especially because I don't think there's someone local. I'm wondering if I can manually slice the sheets into 1-1/4 strips, then cross cut. I don't have a band saw and also don't know how quickly it can go through titanium. I'm guessing pretty slow. Or maybe a table saw modified to run slower?

Any ideas on how prep this stock from sheets efficiently? Also if anyone knows where to find titanium flat bar that would be even better.

Re: Prepping titanium stock

Here's an article that looks at various ways of cutting titanium: https://readytodiy.com/what-can-you-...titanium-0052/ But the simplest solution would be to order it pre-cut to your specs. You might ask these folks about it - they sell bar and don't charge for rough cutting: https://performancetitanium.com/
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Prepping titanium stock

it looks like ill eventually be sending out for waterjet. Found a local guy 2 miles down the road and its not gonna cost more than a few bucks per part. Also it looks like a bandsaw isnt too terrible with titanium and my shop needs one anyway so ill be getting one and trying that method as well