585,922 active members*
3,786 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Industrial Hobby CNC Mill Significant Steps in Y-axis Only

Industrial Hobby CNC Mill Significant Steps in Y-axis Only

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some help on a Industrial Hobby CNC Conversion. I bought it from a widow so there wasn't any knowledge of the previous working condition. It runs Mach 4 with gecko drives and a smooth stepper. I got it running but it losing it's origin in the y-axis only and creates significant steps in the part. It doesn't fault trip the servo either. The x-axis seem to be very consistent. I swapped the x and y encoder and it did the same thing. I did have to take apart the y-axis and the ball nut to move it. I can turn it by hand and doesn't seem to hang up much at all. Could binding be causing this? Or is it something in the software or the servo? I plan on swapping the servo next but after that I don't have much of a clue. See attached picture. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Austin

Re: Industrial Hobby CNC Mill Significant Steps in Y-axis Only

Maybe it was this one: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/for-s...-software.html . If you've ruled out any mechanical problems like a slipping coupler (which can also cause issues like this - make a mark with a Sharpie across any suspicious connections, run a test, and check for misalignment), it sounds like there's a problem with the Y axis servo motor, but it's hard to say whether that's from the drive, the encoder, or the motor itself. If you put the X axis encoder on the Y axis motor and nothing happened, that probably means the encoder's not the problem. Next try swapping all the leads from the X axis motor to the Y axis motor (or switch them at the control box.). If the fault travels to X, that indicates a bad driver. If it stays with Y, that means the motor is bad, or possibly there's a problem with the cables.
    Andrew Werby
    Website