585,982 active members*
4,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Ball Screw & Linear rail protection, maintenance and lubrication.

Ball Screw & Linear rail protection, maintenance and lubrication.

Hi everyone,
    I am reaching the point of no return with gathering components and parts to be able to start building my CNC. Something that I have not necessarily overlooked, but have just put on the back burner is, lubrication and protection against chips, dust, cutting oils etc. for my ball screws and roller ways.

I was curious to see what your thoughts are on the direction I should go. The tables on my machine are pretty open, and the crossed roller ways that I have are completely exposed.
    Here are a couple of pictures on the machine base that I have, and a link to the Roller ways that are used on this frame. Roller Ways- https://www.qualitybearingsonline.co...450/#tech-data

I'll be fitting some SFA2010 ball screws for the X and Y motion of my machine, and SFA2005 for the Z.

I would also like to see what your systems look like, if you would be so kind to share, like what kind of lubrication do you use, where and why?
    Do you have a pump type system or do you lubricate manually?
    What do you use to clean your machines?

I'm sure more question will arise as I move forward, but for now I am just trying to find a general staring point so I can devise a game plan for protection and lubrication.

I wanted to bounce this around here on the site, as you all have given me such great input along the way and always seem to bring up points or information that I totally overlook.
    Thanks for all the help!

-Caleb L.

Re: Ball Screw & Linear rail protection, maintenance and lubrication.

ask these guys about covers and a measurement guide https://krius.en.alibaba.com/

Thanks for the tip ardenum...

I've talked with IKO about what lube to use on the crossed roller ways. They recommended SHELL GADUS S2-V220-2... https://solutions.shell.com/us/produ...20_2__001D8451
    ... for the roller ways.

I've still not heard anything from the ball screw supplier, but was wondering if this would suffice for C5 SFA2010 ball screws as well?

It would be nice to be able to use the same grease for the whole system rather than have multiple lubricants for different components. But, I also don't want to be using anything that is not recommended for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CLEFAVOUR View Post
    Thanks for the tip ardenum...

I've talked with IKO about what lube to use on the crossed roller ways. They recommended SHELL GADUS S2-V220-2... https://solutions.shell.com/us/produ...20_2__001D8451
    ... for the roller ways.

I've still not heard anything from the ball screw supplier, but was wondering if this would suffice for C5 SFA2010 ball screws as well?

It would be nice to be able to use the same grease for the whole system rather than have multiple lubricants for different components. But, I also don't want to be using anything that is not recommended for whatever reason.
    check skf lubrication system grease. These are used for automatic lubrication but if its grease you can just inject it yourself, these are used for carriages, ballscrews, ballscrew support.