584,866 active members*
4,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant Foaming

2000 Haas VF0.

Been using Trim Microsol 585xt for a few months now with no issues. The other day I took out the coolant sump and cleaned chips out of it, and topped off my coolant (running a 9% solution). Ever since this maintenance, i'm getting really bad foaming with the coolant, and it overflows at the return to the chip tray. Any ideas what I screwed up here? Scratching my head on this one

Thanks yall

Re: Coolant Foaming

You can try lowering the percentage. Usually the higher the percentage the more it wants to foam but they also sell anti-foaming additives. What material do you cut?

Did you disconnect and reconnect any plumbing? Could have an intake leak.

Water hardness/softness can play a large roll on how much a coolant will foam , the softer it is the higher the chances are of having foam .
    Some brands of coolant are bad for this and as mentioned there are anti-foam additives specifically made for this sort of problem . I've used an anti-foam which is made for hot tubs and it worked fine . The problem with additives is the need to keep up on them and it's more of a bandage to the problem .

it shows 4-10% ratio for that coolant so your on the high side . I'd drop it to 5 or 6% and see how it goes . You don't need a high concentrate unless your doing nasty work or a lot of deep tapping in steel