584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Heidenhain MC 420

Hello hi have this emco econmat e-160 lathe with this servos and drivers, can I control it and its motors and drivers with other controller other than the original heindenein 420 wich is missing the hard drive and harddrive holder drawer?

Re: Heidenhain MC 420

Hi,

Do you have the manuals of the machine available with you? Which control software was there? (CNC pilot or Manual Plus?). Have you received any CD along with the machine containing the machine backups?

I have a ManualPlus SIK available for sale. Software can be copied from another user via Norton Ghost and onto a regular old laptop hard disk. This should get you going if you have the machine backups available.

If this is not the case, then you would need to swap out the entire control and retrofit the machine. The Drives work on PWM, and none of the low end controls use that. Best would be to swap out the entire system with a Siemens 828D or 808D based on what level of features you need and which control is available at a decent price in your location. (Swapping out involves changing all motors, drives, controls etc). This is assuming the machine is in good condition and worth the expenses.

best of luck!

Jaideep

I don't have nothing but the machine and it's gear, no backups or manuals, I can do the retrofit my self changing all electrical parts I know that, my question was if I was able to control it's heindenain original motors and drivers with an other controller, just to save the engines and drivers and especially the spindle and encoder, I know I can always retrofit and change all electronic if that comes to that point I will sell the other parts.

Hi,

You can reuse the motors, encoders etc. Drives and IO boards etc would be useless. If I remember correctly, Siemens controls can run these motors as they have the parameters for these motors in their motor tables. However, I would suggest re-verifying the same.

You would possibly be able to able to sell the main power module etc and recover the partial cost of the retrofit.

Have you contacted EMCO? They might be able to provide you with the backups and manuals.

Best regards

Jaideep

Tank you I will see what I can do with it,