585,605 active members*
3,263 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

spindle work stop

My lathe is a Haas HL-1, but this question would apply to anyone using a kitagawa 8" power chuck on a haas lathe.

I was trying to comeup with a solution for a spindle work stop, but on this machine, the draw tube moves to actuate the power chuck. This is pretty much the standard for all cnc machines with power chucks, I would imagine.

A commercially available stop like the one Yuasa offers grips the spindle bore, so this won't work. The ID of the chuck in the front is called the Front Cover in the Kitagawa manual. I could grip the ID of this part, as I do on my Daewoo. I made a close-fitting slug that has a screw in the face that jacks a ball bearing axially against the chuck's ID.
    An expanding mandel comes to mind, as well.

I also considered that I could make a new "front cover" that included a flat back, that I could drill and tap for this kind of work.

I'm curious what others are doing to locate work in hard jaws or thru-bored soft jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit68 View Post
    .....I also considered that I could make a new "front cover" that included a flat back, that I could drill and tap for this kind of work.

I'm curious what others are doing to locate work in hard jaws or thru-bored soft jaws.
    This what we have done on several lathes. For work that is longer than the depth of the chuck jaws but small in diameter we weld a blanked off tube onto the new cover plate and fasten stops into the bottom of the tube.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.