585,663 active members*
3,050 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Completely New (need help with drivers and power supply)

Completely New (need help with drivers and power supply)

So, this my first build and my first post here on CNC Zone. I have 4 of these stepper motors below and I'm not sure what power supply or drivers will work best. I want to run 48v power supply. As far as drivers go do I set them to the full 4.2 amps or how much under current should I set the dip switches to for current? Does it hurt if I go over to 4.3 amp? I'm really the most lost on drivers. Any help would be appreciated, and I thank you so much.

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...c-23hs45-4204s

Re: Completely New (need help with drivers and power supply)

Hi,
    those steppers have a moderately (3.6mH) high inductance and will severely limit their top speed. The lower the inductance the faster a stepper will go before it starts losing steps.

The classic way to overcome this lack of speed is to use the highest possible voltage supply and matching driver. There are plenty of good value Chinese made drivers
    that handle 80VDC, and that's what I'd recommend with an 80VDC power supply.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    those steppers have a moderately (3.6mH) high inductance and will severely limit their top speed. The lower the inductance the faster a stepper will go before it starts losing steps.

The classic way to overcome this lack of speed is to use the highest possible voltage supply and matching driver. There are plenty of good value Chinese made drivers
    that handle 80VDC, and that's what I'd recommend with an 80VDC power supply.

Craig
    This is the best advice from Craig.
    I followed it, got DM860T drivers and a 80v switched psu's for mine. My steppers were 3mh. They flew!!!.

I went for the T version drivers because they have both DC/AC input so I could change to AC toroidal power units later on.

Re: Completely New (need help with drivers and power supply)

Hi,

As far as drivers go do I set them to the full 4.2 amps or how much under current should I set the dip switches to for current? Does it hurt if I go over to 4.3 amp?
    Really the current limit for a stepper is about how hot it will get. The manufacturer has determined that their steppers will survive at 4.2A and you would be most unwise to exceed it. In fact
    because torque is proportional to current the manufacturer has an interest in over stating the current that he might sell them to buyers looking for the most torque, and who isn't?
    It may well be in practice that the steppers get too hot for your comfort or their long term reliability, and that you would de-tune down to 3A or 3.5A or similar.

You may also be concerned that the high voltage will contribute to stepper heating, but quirkily that is not the case. If an 80VDC power supply were hooked direct to the
    stepper the current would go through the roof and the stepper would be destroyed within milliseconds. What the driver does is limit the current to 4.2A (or whatever it is that you have set)
    and reduces the voltage by pulse width modulation to do so. In effect the voltage will be reduced to say 3VDC to 4VDC. The whole point about having a high voltage supply is to
    at the moment of 'stepping' to 'push' the current through the winding (and its inductance) as fast as possible, and thereby secure the fastest possible operation. The full supply
    voltage will be applied to the stepper for just a few microseconds at each 'step' event but in between be cut back to 3VDC to 4VDC. As a consequence the high supply voltage is largely immaterial
    as far as stepper heating goes......stepper heating is about current not voltage.

Craig