584,812 active members*
5,255 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynapath > Adding a VFD to dynapath Delta 20 spindle control

Adding a VFD to dynapath Delta 20 spindle control

Hi all,

I've managed to convert my clausing Kondia FV-1 with Delta 20 control over to 220v single phase input. The control and servos power on, and I can run programs.

For the spindle, I've installed a 3hp VFD and connected to the motor. Using the controls on the front of the VFD, I have full control of stop/start/reverse and the speed pot.

I'd like to have the Delta 20 control the on/off/reverse if possible, but I'm not sure where to hook up the vfd's control inputs inside the Delta control. Is anyone able to advise?

Based on the manual for the VFD, it seems like shorting X4 and COM should give forward, and X5/COM should give reverse. It's an important AT-1 model VFD.

I don't think speed control is very easy to do, but I'd be happy with the control of on/off.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20230513_090430_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20230513_090401_Gallery.jpg  

I think I got it figured out. At least, it's all running the way it should as far as I can tell.

When I switched to 220 single phase, I'm now only using 2 of the three poles on the M1 and M2 contactors, which are normally used for forward and reverse. I figured out which of the three phases now had no power going to it, and removed the (now redundant) wires from those. I put my VFD control wires across those unused terminals (two pairs, one for M1 forward and one for M2 reverse), and connected those to X4,X5 and COM on the VFD. Voila!

Re: Adding a VFD to dynapath Delta 20 spindle control

...yes, it is possible to interface the VFD to the Dynapath. Speed control is wired to a Servo card port and the ON/OFF Forward/Rev. is wired to DC Input/Outputs with some relays. You will need the "Installation Manual" to find out pin numbers and programming. I think Autocon still sells the manual for the 20 Series control's but, they cost $300+ a few years ago last time I checkd.