585,875 active members*
4,179 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Anyone have a Clarke engineers workbench?

Anyone have a Clarke engineers workbench?

Hi,

Im looking for a permenent home for my X3 mill, as its currently sat on a scissor lift table that i use when working on it. I want to use flood coolant at some point, so i was considering getting a workbench such as this one to use as a starting point, as i dont have the kit to do sheetmetal work. The plan would be to use the lip around the table to mount plexiglass 'walls' to.

Unfortunately i cant seem to find any suppliers who list the tables load capacity, and i really would like to know how sturdy these are before buying one.

Has anyone seen / bought one of these before? are they suitable for a benchtop mill?

Don't know much about that, but it does look nice. You can always try to beef up the bench from underneath. Who knows who thick and what support it has!

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
    Hi,

Im looking for a permenent home for my X3 mill, as its currently sat on a scissor lift table that i use when working on it. I want to use flood coolant at some point, so i was considering getting a workbench such as this one to use as a starting point, as i dont have the kit to do sheetmetal work. The plan would be to use the lip around the table to mount plexiglass 'walls' to.

Unfortunately i cant seem to find any suppliers who list the tables load capacity, and i really would like to know how sturdy these are before buying one.

Has anyone seen / bought one of these before? are they suitable for a benchtop mill?
    Hi

I have a clarke workbench of the wooden kind cost a little less than the one you show at machine mart..The one I have would have no trouble holding a lathe/mill as every now and then I have put huge amount of weight on with no problems.

I have also seen your model with quite a latge cnc mill on it in a school so suggest you should have no problems - however a quick phone call to machine mart may help.
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

Jason:
    I had considered that at first, but im really trying to avoid having to modify the table if possible, as I have enough work to do with the enclosure and wiring for the mill at the moment. I would rather pay more for a stronger table if needed.

Drakkn:
    Thanks for the info, i have already emailed a few suppliers of that bench, but havent had a reply from any of them yet. I get the feeling that Clarke don't publish specs for the load capacity. That said if your wooden one will hold the weight, this one should too.

Im probably going to wait a few days till my next paycheck clears, then if none of the suppliers respond, I'll just order one.

Why not try a local engineering company to see what they could build you for the same money, and that way you could get the right size etc.

aga-man: whilst im sure that would get me a better product, its more of a time / hassle thing. If i had the time i could use the workshop at work to build a steel frame table, its just i have too many things on to justify spending my time doing it. Likewise with local firms, i would still have to spend time designing, shopping around, and arranging shipping for the table. Size wise i need a 1.2m long table, and this is 1.5m, so its not too bad a fit.