585,754 active members*
3,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Shaoge Controller Issues.

Hey guys,

I have two of Shaoge Chinese CNC controllers (the SMC 5-5, and the 4-4). And neither of them will scribe a smooth circle, no matter what parameters I change. My circles come out multifaceted. (like a stop sign)

The Shaoges have "Chordlength" setting that must be set to the smallest number possible, or the problem is much worse. However, you cannot set it to less than 0.5.

If anyone here has experience with these, and knows how to correct this problem, I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Richmond

Re: Shaoge Controller Issues.

And no one even wanted to venture a guess?

Alright then fellas... Thanks for nothing, I suppose.

Hi,
    what does the manufacturer have to say about it?

If they don't answer emails throw the bloody things in the bin and buy decent controllers, not cheap ill-supported Chinese ones either.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    what does the manufacturer have to say about it?

If they don't answer emails throw the bloody things in the bin and buy decent controllers, not cheap ill-supported Chinese ones either.

Craig
    Lol... You get zilch from these Chinese manufacturers, Joe... that's just the way it is. However, after (figuratively) beating my head against the wall for about three days, I finally figured out why these controllers exhibit that issue, and how to work around it.

As for your push toward buying a high priced US, Japanese, or European controller; the machines I'm working with aren't big enough to mount such large and complicated control interfaces, not to mention the exorbitant prices they charge for them, which is probably more that my machines are worth to begin with.

I also like a little adventure, myself. If, I were going to buy a high priced controller such as you suggested, I wouldn't want to be bothered with mounting, wiring, and setup issues, I would just buy a new Hass machine or something similar, and be done with it...

FYI the little $120 Shaoge is a very capable controller once you have learned how to deal with it's operational guirks.

Hi,

As for your push toward buying a high priced US, Japanese, or European controller; the machines I'm working with aren't big enough to mount such large and complicated control interfaces, not to mention the exorbitant prices they charge for them, which is probably more that my machines are worth to begin with.
    I use Mach4 (running on an el-cheapo recycled PC) and an Ethernet SmoothStepper (ESS) as motion controller. A Mach4Hobby license is $200USD and an ESS is $195USD.
    That does not really meet your description 'not to mention the exorbitant prices they charge for them, which is probably more that my machines are worth to begin with.

Anyway, good luck with the little controller.

Craig

Yes, I have Mach3 (which people seem to have all manner of difficulties with) and various breakout boards.

I don't even want to try Mach4, because of all the negative comments I have read pertaining to that version. I've been at this for a long time. Started out working with buggy DOS based parallel port software.

As for the little Shaoge; it is a much better fit for this application, than anything else I am aware of. It's dependable, and I think I have solved 98% of it's anomalies.

Quote Originally Posted by RichmondLabs View Post
    Hey guys,

I have two of Shaoge Chinese CNC controllers (the SMC 5-5, and the 4-4). And neither of them will scribe a smooth circle, no matter what parameters I change. My circles come out multifaceted. (like a stop sign)

The Shaoges have "Chordlength" setting that must be set to the smallest number possible, or the problem is much worse. However, you cannot set it to less than 0.5.

If anyone here has experience with these, and knows how to correct this problem, I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Richmond
    I think that is related to software generated toolpath as lines instead of arcs.
    To figure that if is or not software related you can try making a manual toolpath to test the controller with I J K, or using R.

Hi,

don't even want to try Mach4, because of all the negative comments I have read pertaining to that version
    I've been using Mach4 for eight years, and its nothing like your description. You are listening to other people, and commonly the people whom struggle the most with Mach4
    are people whom are well used to Mach3, they seem unwilling to accept that there are different and better ways of doing things than Mach3.

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...8176#msg278176

By the way I regularly circularly interpolate holes with Mach4. The holes come out 'rounder' than using a drill, although not as good or 'circular' as a ream, but close.

Craig