585,719 active members*
4,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > UG NX > Resolution Issue or Tool Path Issue?

Resolution Issue or Tool Path Issue?

Hello all! I am a long time NX cad user, but very much a newbie when it comes to the cam side and trying to teach myself in preparation for a mill. Going crazy looking at the 3d body left after a planar profile command. One corner is sharp as it should be, the other has the corner knocked off slightly. In my cutting parameters I have corners set to extend. These parts are patterned in the same orientations across a pallet and have this issue but in no specific order. So, am I going crazy looking at a resolution problem or is this something I would want to figure out before actually attempting to mill the parts? Thanks for dealing with a newb!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Part Orientation.png   Incorrect Corner.png   Correct Corner.png  

Re: Resolution Issue or Tool Path Issue?

It could be resolution....
    Check the toolpaths to see if the deviation from expected sharp corner is still sharp.
    See if you can backplot it on-screen, by stepping each move... see if it adds endpoints at the corner in question.
    It is the actual toolpath that dictates the shape on the CNC, not any toolpath simulation done on-screen

Quote Originally Posted by Spydie View Post
    Hello all! I am a long time NX cad user, but very much a newbie when it comes to the cam side and trying to teach myself in preparation for a mill. Going crazy looking at the 3d body left after a planar profile command. One corner is sharp as it should be, the other has the corner knocked off slightly. In my cutting parameters I have corners set to extend. These parts are patterned in the same orientations across a pallet and have this issue but in no specific order. So, am I going crazy looking at a resolution problem or is this something I would want to figure out before actually attempting to mill the parts? Thanks for dealing with a newb!
    Looks like resolution issue.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    It could be resolution....
    Check the toolpaths to see if the deviation from expected sharp corner is still sharp.
    See if you can backplot it on-screen, by stepping each move... see if it adds endpoints at the corner in question.
    It is the actual toolpath that dictates the shape on the CNC, not any toolpath simulation done on-screen
    Okay, I won't sweat it too much then till I get the machine in and start running test parts to see. I'll take a look and see if it add's any end points as well like you said. Thank ya!

Just checking in, did you get your program working?