585,735 active members*
4,761 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > AC servo Step Direction drive

AC servo Step Direction drive

Is there such a thing as a AC servo drive that works with step direction position input? I have some DutymAx AM servo motors with resolvers on an older CNC machine and I would like to use a PC to control the machine using Mach 3. Is there a way to acomplish this using new servo drives.

How do industrial controlers communicate position to industrial servo drives different than the step direction method.

Thanks,
    Paul

Your present drives probabally use ±10vdc analogue signal, there is also digital communication from the controller to drive.
    You would need step/dir to analogue converters e.g. Skyko Pixie.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Now the chinese servo ac drives also have option for step and direction.

What are the Chinese brands or websites?
    The Skyko Pixie maybe a good option but I have to chec compatibility.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by professor View Post
    What are the Chinese brands or websites?
    The Skyko Pixie maybe a good option but I have to chec compatibility.
    Paul
    I got a quote of 530usd for 10NM motor+drive contact is as uder:
    Sunrise-Electronics Co.,Ltd.
    http://servo-motor.en.alibaba.com
    [email protected]
    Tel: +86-512-63002626
    Fax: +86-512-63002272

If you want to give refrence tell him Technocrafts, Pakistan.

do the amps you have provide an encoder output? If not, add-ons are not an option. Have you looked for the manual for your drives? http://www.controltechniques.com/dow....asp&mainFrame
    Some of the Emerson/Control Techniques drives have step and direction inputs.

I have a drive from PacSci that uses resolvers and has both +/- 10v and step/direction inputs. So it definitely has been done. Tell me what drive it has, and I'll look at the manual if it's on the site.

A brushless motor with resolvers would not work with the Pixie. I think I have seen some drive controllers on ebay that take resolver input though...

Quote Originally Posted by KTP View Post
    A brushless motor with resolvers would not work with the Pixie. I think I have seen some drive controllers on ebay that take resolver input though...
    I don't think that's true. All of the resolver output drives I own output an encoder signal. So it's indistinguishable from an encoder feedback device. Of course, if you don't want to sell the Pixies, who am I to argue?

Oh right, I guess some drives do output simulated encoder signals derived from the resolver feedback from the motor. I just wanted to make sure people didn't think the Pixie could take resolver feedback itself.

The Servo dirves in the machine are MaxAx 100 by Control Techniques.
    Paul

You can download a pdf manual for the MaxAx from Control Techniques.You have to register but it`s free and painless.These are good drives.
    Mark.

I read the manual, and it only has differential +/-10 volt control. It does have an encoder output, so it should work fine with the Pixie. Looks like a nice drive. In general, it's very difficult to set up one of these motors with a different drive, and your options are very limited.

Other than the Pixie, you might consider using EMC http://linuxcnc.org/ in a closed loop setup with something like the Mesa 5I20, 7I33, and 7I37 boards. That would total up to about $350. http://www.mesanet.com/

looking for similar option on my machine. I have the complete sinumerik 810 controller and motors, but am wanting to update to pc control (hopefully mach 3). I would like to utilize my 3 phase ac servos along with the bosch SM 5/10-TA drives (520V/5amp). the motors have both tach and encoder outputs, the tach goes to the drives and encoder goes into the PLC. I'm told I have velocity drives and not the torque mode types required for Pixie 100 boards. Can anyone here suggest a combination to connect my type of drives to a pc controller?
    Aloha,
    John

Why do you want to get rid of the 810 control?Especially to retrofit something which will never be as good.It`s a perfactly good control,all the documentation for programming,maintenance etc is available free to download.If you had been in the UK I would buy it of you.What machine do you have?
    Mark.

As we write, I am waiting for 3 phase power to start up the controller. I just obtained a Reichenbacher RANC 210 AM Router a few weeks ago and took possession of the controller only a few days ago. I have an electrician coming this weekend to verify needed power (looks to be 380 3ph) and help with building a phase converter. So... in the meantime, I'm looking at options in the event it does not power up. The machine was 'parked' 6-7 years ago in supposedly running condition. Yes, Plan A is utilizing the Sinumerik 810m controller, but I'm expecting a loss of programming on the PLC from the long term lack of power. I recieved the programming manual and Installation explanations service document (as well as downloaded numerous pdf files from siemens on this controller) but no software discs. Plan B is to locate a copy of these discs before trashing it.- so if anyone out here can help...thanks in advance.
    then Plan C is retrofit.
    But I 'm also looking at the future and will this controller have enough memory to utilize complexe machining such as 3d contouring?
    I'm not looking at milling only square blocks with slots.

The machine came complete minus the router spindle/motors. I intend to install slower spindles with R8 tooling (going off mikeaber and dr. stein's designs for now on the first spindle) for aluminum and plastic machining . I removed the vacuum fixturing and will section the workarea to keep multiple vises and fixtures in place.
    39 x 65 inch work area and three spindle mounts! it'll be like a three tool changer. Not bad for $2000 in my opinion. but of course. nothing but metal without control.

John

It will depend a lot on whether the controller is a GA1,GA2 or GA3 version.The standard plc programme is on eprom and after doing a cold restart you can reload this programme.If the machine builder wrote his own plc programme then unless you can find the builder or someone with the same machine you are in trouble.You probably won`t get any options either and I think the canned cycles will be gone.You need PCIN and Step 5 to programme these controls.Just went through it all two weeks back when the 810 on a Chiron mill locked up.the PLC stopped and the only way forward was a complete wipeout and reload all the software.The cause was a faulty CPU board.Siemens have a 24 hr help desk in the UK and I suppose elsewhere in the world but it is manned by service engineers who are called in to take a turn for a couple of days and some of them do not know much about the older controls.
    I can help with procedures if you`re stuck.
    Mark.

Mine is a ga2. The builder of the machine is still in business, I'll try contacting them for copies of the software. also do you know where I could obtain pcin and step 5? I'll attempt a google search of course.
    thanks gridley51.
    John

John,I`ve sent you a PM.
    Mark.