585,758 active members*
4,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Woodworking - Fusion 360 alternative, Viacad?

Unhappy Woodworking - Fusion 360 alternative, Viacad?

Hello guys,

I'm for a fusion 360 alternative becouse I don't want a subscription program with cloud database.

I'm working on a macbook pro with M1pro, so I use Parrallel desktop to be able to run vcarve pro for CAM but if the cad program could be native for mac it's better (assembly need the full power of the laptop)

I tryed:
    Sketchup ==> No parametric and need subscription for boolean operation.
    Freecad ==> Ok but very clunky, and it's very hard to use external reference to design different part together
    Alibre ATOM cad ==> Very cool for the price it's the same kind than solidworks which I learned at school.
    Rhino 3D V7 ==> Very cool, but honestly, grasshopper is not for me...

I mainly design woodworking furnitures or projects that will be machined on my CNC.
    Sometime also mecanical design

Turbocad pro V14 for mac (which is Viacadpro) is currently -30% but there is no free trial to try it.

Does anyone have an other recommandation?

Thanks

Re: Woodworking - Fusion 360 alternative, Viacad?

Freecad is very capable and my limited experience suggests that using the spreadsheet function is more logical than Rhino and Grasshopper.I have been looking at Rhino 7 recently and it can do just about anything I would need to do.On the model engineer website there is a similar sub-forum and some of them are enthusiastic about Alibre,but engineering and furniture are different worlds.https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/for...eads.asp?t=148

Give MOI (Moment of Inspiration) a try. It comes in a Mac native version, and is optimized for tablets. Made by the same person who originally designed Rhino, it uses the NURBS-first approach but isn't cluttered up with all the stuff they jammed into Rhino after he left. We sell it at a discount: https://computersculpture.com/moi/
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchMaker View Post
    ... fusion 360 alternative ... Does anyone have an other recommandation?
    For commercial or noncommercial use?

Hi,

I'm for a fusion 360 alternative becouse I don't want a subscription program with cloud database.
    I used to feel the same way, but I've had a subscription for about three years now and I must say I've rather changed my mind. Is there something specific that you do not like?

What I do like about Fusion is that I've got quite a powerful CAD/CAM solution that compares favorably with any of the commercial CAD/CAM programs but at a fair discount.

Craig

Commercial use but a small shop I have a main job aside my small business.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchMaker View Post
    Commercial use but a small shop I have a main job aside my small business.
    If you don't need surfacing tools then Alibre Atom or Pro would be your best option.

If you need surfacing you will either have to suffer with FreeCAD or buy SolidWorks.

Have you tried onshape. Onshape is a cloud-based CAD platform that doesn't require membership for basic capabilities and offers a free personal-use plan.