585,712 active members*
3,869 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > For Sale Only > Retrofitted Falcon Chevalier FM-2040MB - 3 Axis CNC Mill - $7900USD- Murray, KY

Post Retrofitted Falcon Chevalier FM-2040MB - 3 Axis CNC Mill - $7900USD- Murray, KY

Hello,

I’ve been fixing and cleaning up an older machine called a Falcon Chevalier FM-2040 MB. I do work as an electrical panel assembler so I have some experience with wiring electrical components and systems up. I do not have a lot of experience with CNC milling machines but I have stripped the old control system and replaced it with a more modern controller.

Here is a short video of it operating: https://youtu.be/qXcnidtmZyo

If you are interested, I have a Ebay Listing for it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334887177631

I am located near Murray, KY, USA and I have access to a fork lift that is able to load it.

Here are some details for the machine:

The mill is a bed style mill and looks similar to a Bridgeport mill. The bed moves in the X and Y axis. The Z axis uses a vertical ball screw with a counterbalance to help support it.

All three axes have ball screws driven by a belt and pulley.

The Spindle motor is a Baldor rated at 5HP. The Base Speed at 60Hz is 1750 rpm and I currently have it overspeed to 3000 rpm at 115 Hz. I was unsure how much more speed I could get safely.

It had sat outside for a decent amount of time so I had to strip it down and clean it. I then replaced the old control system along with the motor and drives as well I rewired the control enclosure. It was previously wired for 3-Phase power but I switched it to be a single phase 220v system. I purchased steppers and a new VFD from automation technology as the older VFD would have only provided 2-3HP with single phase downrating it. I put in some gecko drives for the steppers. The control software is Mach 4 as I am slightly familiar with it as I have helped configure a CNC router using it.

These are the best metrics I have been able to reach with it.

X Stats:
    Speed: 90 IPM
    Acceleration: 9.0
    Axis Travel: 40.5”
    Backlash(without compensation): 4.5 Thousandth of an inch

y Stats:
    Speed: 90 IPM
    Acceleration: 9.0
    Axis Travel: 20.3”
    Backlash(without compensation): 2 Thousandth of an inch

Z Stats:
    Speed: 70 IPM
    Acceleration: 7.0
    Axis Travel: 23.9”
    Backlash(without compensation): 0.5 - 1 Thousandth of an inch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC mill ky 1.jpg   CNC mill ky 2.jpg   CNC mill ky 3.jpg   CNC mill ky 4.jpg  

CNC mill ky 5.jpg   CNC mill ky 6.jpg  
    Last edited by Fractal16; 06-01-2023 at 12:49 AM.